Sign in with
Your question

Bought Two Dell U2413s and i1 Display Pro and Calibrated Them -- What Next? (Win7x64)

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
August 6, 2013 1:24:44 PM

Hey folks,

As the title states, I just installed two Dell U2413s, hooked up the X-Rite i1 Display Pro and calibrated each of them in the following manner (selecting each color space preset form the Dell Calibration menu with the default suggested luminance):

Monitor 1 - Cal1 - AdobeRGB
Monitor 1 - Cal2 - sRGB
Monitor 2 - Cal1 - AdobeRGB
Monitor 2 - Cal2 - sRGB

So I ran the calibration 4 times. Then I set each monitor to the Cal1 preset (AdobeRGB), and everything looks pretty good (although a bit bright when the screen is mostly white).

Not knowing much about color calibration, I'm confused what to do next to ensure proper color management. If I go into my Windows 7 Color Management control panel app, I see each monitor has 3 profiles associated with it (the default D6500, the AdobeRGB, and the sRGB). However, for each of them the sRGB is set as the default. Does this matter?

Also, is there anything else I need to do to ensure Lightroom and Photoshop are showing me the correct colors? Do I have to change settings, or is all of this implicitly handled?

Please forgive my ignorance, but I heard a bunch of horror stories from U2413 owners and how most things looked terrible with the wide gamut. But everything looks fine for me -- and now I'm scared

Thanks so much for any help!
a c 100 C Monitor
August 7, 2013 6:53:28 AM

So you are worried because things look good to you? Interesting. There is a joke I like to tell my son that he enjoys. "Hey, did you hear about this deadly disease that kills you in days?" "No, what are the symptoms" "Well, first you feel perfectly fine, then you die suddenly" "OH MY GOD! I.. I Feel PERFECTLY FINE!!!"

The calibrator you used should have checked the color the monitors display. If it shows you the colors and brightness as good, it's good.
August 7, 2013 10:35:07 AM

I'm not concerned about it looking "good" to the naked eye. The standard for that is pretty low. I'm concerned about not understanding the calibration process, how it relates to these Windows settings, and properly configuring my system so that what I see in Lightroom is what I will see when I print or what others will see when I share.
a c 100 C Monitor
August 8, 2013 8:25:29 AM

What others will see depends on their monitors and print is easy to do. Find a shop with a calibrated printer to the Pantone colors, and compare the print out to your screen. That's really the best you can do. Or even better, if you are doing work for someone else, check THEIR equipment so you can match it.

Part of my old job was to calibrate monitors for a Radiology department in a hospital where they used monitors that cost about $10,000 each with built-in sensors, so I do have a bit of knowldedge in monitors. They never did this before and I had to learn everything about the different models they used, different calibration methods and standards, tought me quite a bit about how those things worked, was fun too, although boring. A full test on a single monitor was something like 90 steps.
January 26, 2014 4:51:01 AM

sarthaz said:
Hey folks,

As the title states, I just installed two Dell U2413s, hooked up the X-Rite i1 Display Pro and calibrated each of them in the following manner (selecting each color space preset form the Dell Calibration menu with the default suggested luminance):

Monitor 1 - Cal1 - AdobeRGB
Monitor 1 - Cal2 - sRGB
Monitor 2 - Cal1 - AdobeRGB
Monitor 2 - Cal2 - sRGB

So I ran the calibration 4 times. Then I set each monitor to the Cal1 preset (AdobeRGB), and everything looks pretty good (although a bit bright when the screen is mostly white).

Not knowing much about color calibration, I'm confused what to do next to ensure proper color management. If I go into my Windows 7 Color Management control panel app, I see each monitor has 3 profiles associated with it (the default D6500, the AdobeRGB, and the sRGB). However, for each of them the sRGB is set as the default. Does this matter?

Also, is there anything else I need to do to ensure Lightroom and Photoshop are showing me the correct colors? Do I have to change settings, or is all of this implicitly handled?

Please forgive my ignorance, but I heard a bunch of horror stories from U2413 owners and how most things looked terrible with the wide gamut. But everything looks fine for me -- and now I'm scared

Thanks so much for any help!

The thing is for that monitor you have most likely did HARDWARE calibration, which means monitor lookup tables (colour profile) were updated. In Windows control panel you see calibration results (colour profiles) done at Windows/graphics card level, so that's probably you don't see these profiles in Windows panels.

This makes the whole thing even harder, because you have to make sure those two profiles are not interfering with each other. I would leave everything as it was in Windows, when calibration was performed.

Check also this site for deep understanding: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2413.htm
!