Advice for a Noob please

Andy Reconize

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Hello all, first post here!

Firstly just a big thanks to all contributors to this forum! provided me with much information! This is the new build I am planning to put together, as my first overclock.

The reason I have selected these parts are:

Ease to fit/overclock- due to my in-experience, and also looking for top end parts.

Just wondering what your thoughts where, and if I would grind out any better performance, or substitute for any cheaper parts, with my noobness in mind!?
Or anything that would make installation easier!

I am planning on fitting the h100 on top of case (as exhaust) with the two SP fans in a pull configuration. With the AF on the back, and the other 4 120m fans in the side all as intake! I would be open to an air cooler, if one was as effective.
Price is flexible, don't want to spend for the sake of it, but would at the same time, like the best output from my investment!

1xMZ-7td250bw - Samsung 840 SSD
1xAsus Maximus VI HERO Z87 Socket 1150 HDMI ATX Motherboard 1xIntel Core i7 4770K 3.50GHz Socket 1150 8MB
1xFractal Design Tesla 1000W 80 Plus Gold PSU
2xCorsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866MHz Vengeance Pro Kit - Black
1xAsus BC-12D1ST/BLK/B/AS Internal SATA Bluray reader Brown
2xCorsair Air Series Sp120 Quiet Edition High Static Pressure 120mm Fan 1xCorsair Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler 4
4x CoolerMaster 120mm Sickleflow Fan - B
1x Corsair AF120, 120mm Low Noise High Airflow Fan for Case Cooling, 3 pin, Single

+ Titan gpu already purchased

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
air cooler IF one was acceptable.... How about better temps, quieter? Do some reasearch. You will find ESPECIALLY with Haswell, the H100 is suffiient for stock and a very mediocre OC. It is hotter than Ivy.

Noctua DH-u14s
Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme
Phantek ph-tc14pe

These air coolers have been tested to perform better on OC than H100. for that matter, NZXT Kraken x60 performs better than h100. And all are quieter.

Andy Reconize

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
I have done quite a bit of research, and some charts show the H100i better, some the air coolers you have mentioned.
It's been difficult to find conclusive evidence of which one is better, in fact- in all honesty the H100 comes out on top in most of the reviews I've seen.

Like I said though, I'm sure most know more than me so I am open to suggestions- If the Phantek is the way to go for performance I am open to it.

Also any other cooling options, without diving into hard-to-fit custom water cooling

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013

Check the test setup - I have yet to see a Haswell OC review of over 4.3 that H100 comes out ahead of anything. Most of what you will find is Ivy bridge or Sandy review. Should you find reviews supporting H100 use on Haswell as best, I would be very curious to see it actually