Pixel Clock OC (Dell U2412m monitor)

j0lly

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
I am wondering if its safe to overclock the refresh rate of my Dell U2412m display.

I am using the EVGA Pixel Clock OC and feel it would be nice to up it to around 75hz if possible (my FPS is usually around 80). The software also shows a pixel clock value (which increases as I increase refresh rate)... is there a safe maximum or something?

I am afraid to just experiment since this is a brand new monitor.

Thanks!

It's not possible to overclock a pixel clock, that's just dumb marketing by someone who has no idea what they're talking about. The pixel clock is defined by the resolution and refresh rate of the display and is used to synchronize the lines and frames. All of the combinations of horizontal resolution, vertical resolution, and refresh rate have well known associated pixel clocks. If a particular refresh rate isn't listed at a particular resolution, attempting to force it could damage the display.

tigerg

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
You can overclock displays, I just have not seen any way to easily do this outside of engineering samples we were sent for evaluation. Those samples contained special BIOS. In reality, we never messed with these, except when doing some funky EMC noise suppression.

If there is some magical EVGA software out there, which I am not familiar with, and it allows you to do this, I suggest you carefully read your warranty. If you alter this stuff, the monitor's internals WILL record this change. And one of the first things done in an RMA situation is see if you have mucked with this. If you void the warranty, damage your display somehow, you are not going to get it replaced.

I advise not to try this.

j0lly

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
thanks tiger, i dont think i will mess with it..

pinhedd: i was never talking about OCing the pixel clock (it is just what the program is called).. like i said and u basically reworded is that OCing the refresh rate also increases the pixel clock