installed ftth cannot connect to internet

beni1907

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
hi all

I have recently moved into a new apartment and have had my ftth connection installed. I have an ethernet cable plugged in however have no access. I have spent hours on the phone to support however they have offered no resolution.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
When they stopped in to install it, they should have made sure your Internet was working on at least one device before leaving you. If the service was pre-installed before you got there, then they should send someone over with a device to test the connection themselves.

dbhosttexas

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
What do you mean have your fifth connection installed? Most ISPs typically provide just a modem connection, or at most, a modem / router with 4 LAN ports. Did you have ethernet cable run throughout the apartment? Is it the landlord that runs the cable or?

Sorry I just don't understand exactly how you are set up, or who is responsible for what in this situation.

In a typical situation, with 5 LAN cabled connections you would have.

ISP Modem --> Router (can be integrated into one device of both modem and router.) 4 ethernet ports --> 1 of those ethernet ports uplinks to an ethernet switch. sizes vary --> ethernet cable to the end devices.

So the things to check are... (Working from the client device / workstation back) are...

#1. Are you getting a physical link light on the ethernet port? If yes, move to step #3.
#2. Try using a different, known good ethernet cable, if that works, problem solved, if not your issue is either the NIC in the client computer, or...
#3. Is the ethernet switch powered on, and have link to the devices connected to it? (look at the blinky lights, if you don't know what they mean, read the manual that came with it.).
#4. Is the link cable between the switch and router showing link on both ends? Is the switch an older 10/100 without auto up linking perhaps? Again, read the manual. Some required the uplink to be in a specific port, some required a crossover cable. Modern gigabit switches do not require this.
#5. Can the device connect by bypassing the switch and cabling directly to a LAN port on the router? Again we are testing to see if the switch is the problem.
#6. If other devices are working, and the above don't solve it, chances are better than good that you have something either mechanically wrong with the NIC on the client, or something seriously misconfigured in the adapter configuration in the OS...