Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Broken Jeep Cherokee

Last response: in Cars
Share
Anonymous
August 7, 2013 8:05:34 AM

Hello,
We purchased a 2001 Jeep Cherokee. I never looked in the radiator. About eight months later it stared overheating. We took it in to a repair shop. The radiator was full with oily/rusted liquid. I had the radiator/system chemically flushed. About one week later it over heats again radiator fluid again looks oily/rusted. Repair shop said the head gaskets are cracked and it needs to be smoothed. They send it out, re-flush the system. Then we drive a few days and again it over heats. Repair shop says the radiator fluid was leaking out the old radiator top because it may not fit the new radiator correctly. I was surprised the new radiator didn't come with a new top. They gave me a new top. Then it over heats again, I do not take it back to the same repair shop. I was trying to get it to another shop when the Serpentine belt broke and then everything started to come to an end. I pull over and call Triple A. A man comes over and starts to help me unwind the twisted/melted Serpentine belt off of everything. He shows me that the one pulley does not spin like the others and showed me that it was cracked, he goes on to say possibly the water pump has not been able to work like it should and maybe this is some of the cause for the system to not function correctly and over heat. It now sits in my driveway. I found out two yrs. prior, that the previous owner took it to a local repair shop. He told me he thought the engine block had a crack that expanded when it got hot. Could some of the issues been because the pulley does not spin like it should and then there is a domino effect. The oil also gets milky. So I have been told, by a few mechanics, they feel it has an engine block crack. I know the pulley needs replaced. Can you shed knowledge on the oily/rusted water and the milky oil. If it is a cracked block, can it be rebuilt. There is a 2001 engine that I could buy for $805.00 after I bring them the old engine. But it has 159,000 Mi. on it. Any help would be appreciated.

More about : broken jeep cherokee

Best solution

August 7, 2013 8:14:57 AM

This is a computer forum. I don't think you will get much help here. Have you tried greatlakes4x4?

To try to answer your question, milky oil means there is water (coolant) in it. This points to a bad head gasket or possibly engine block crack. Do not drive it with watery oil. You will lose a rod bearing in no time. If you have a cracked block you will be better off finding a used motor at a junkyard, is it a 4.0L I6? Now which pulley are you talking about? The water pump? You can't replace just that pulley, the whole water pump gets replaced.
Share
August 7, 2013 8:40:02 AM

cracked block/replace engine........... did you pull heads to see if head gasket is bad?............ obviously poorly maintained engine............. replace thermostat.............. replace water pump.......... good luck.
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
August 7, 2013 8:40:11 AM

Anonymous said:
Hello,
We purchased a 2001 Jeep Cherokee. I never looked in the radiator. About eight months later it stared overheating. We took it in to a repair shop. The radiator was full with oily/rusted liquid. I had the radiator/system chemically flushed. About one week later it over heats again radiator fluid again looks oily/rusted. Repair shop said the head gaskets are cracked and it needs to be smoothed. They send it out, re-flush the system. Then we drive a few days and again it over heats. Repair shop says the radiator fluid was leaking out the old radiator top because it may not fit the new radiator correctly. I was surprised the new radiator didn't come with a new top. They gave me a new top. Then it over heats again, I do not take it back to the same repair shop. I was trying to get it to another shop when the Serpentine belt broke and then everything started to come to an end. I pull over and call Triple A. A man comes over and starts to help me unwind the twisted/melted Serpentine belt off of everything. He shows me that the one pulley does not spin like the others and showed me that it was cracked, he goes on to say possibly the water pump has not been able to work like it should and maybe this is some of the cause for the system to not function correctly and over heat. It now sits in my driveway. I found out two yrs. prior, that the previous owner took it to a local repair shop. He told me he thought the engine block had a crack that expanded when it got hot. Could some of the issues been because the pulley does not spin like it should and then there is a domino effect. The oil also gets milky. So I have been told, by a few mechanics, they feel it has an engine block crack. I know the pulley needs replaced. Can you shed knowledge on the oily/rusted water and the milky oil. If it is a cracked block, can it be rebuilt. There is a 2001 engine that I could buy for $805.00 after I bring them the old engine. But it has 159,000 Mi. on it. Any help would be appreciated.


m
0
l
Anonymous
August 7, 2013 8:46:23 AM

swifty_morgan said:
cracked block/replace engine........... did you pull heads to see if head gasket is bad?............ obviously poorly maintained engine............. replace thermostat.............. replace water pump.......... good luck.


Yes, gasket replace and sent out to smooth surface. Thermostat replaced twice. I'm trying to figure out if milky oil and oily radiator fluid sounds like it's pointing to a cracked block. And if so can it be re-built properly?
m
0
l
August 7, 2013 8:51:47 AM

If by rebuild you mean take everything out of the current block, buy an intact block, then put all the stuff in there then yeah. I wouldn't trust the bearings you have now though if you've been running it on watery oil. It would be much easier/faster to just get a used motor from a junkyard, if its the 4.0L every yard will have one.
m
0
l
August 7, 2013 9:09:48 AM

a cracked block is a cracked block............ it's scrap metal. is it worth getting it magna fluxed vs going to a scrap yard and getting one they have lying around?

research the cost of a rebuild ( your junk block )...( which may be totally shot and need replacing ) ....... the cost of a junk yard block, or the cost of a remanufactured long block.
m
0
l
August 7, 2013 9:12:11 AM

wanderer11 said:
This is a computer forum. I don't think you will get much help here. Have you tried greatlakes4x4?

To try to answer your question, milky oil means there is water (coolant) in it. This points to a bad head gasket or possibly engine block crack. Do not drive it with watery oil. You will lose a rod bearing in no time. If you have a cracked block you will be better off finding a used motor at a junkyard, is it a 4.0L I6? Now which pulley are you talking about? The water pump? You can't replace just that pulley, the whole water pump gets replaced.



there are a lot of options and topics that can be talked about in these forums. I suggest you open up the forums and have a look at ALL the topics.................... having said that........ I too wasn't happy when Tom's decided to include all the "extra" stuff but soon learned to ignore it and only pay attention to stuff I was interested in.
m
0
l
August 7, 2013 9:27:46 AM

I didn't even realize there was an "extra" topic. I wasn't trying to say not to ask the question here, just that a different forum, one geared towards cherokees, would give him more help.
m
0
l
!