Sign in with
Your question

Looking for good USB 3.0 and eSata external enclosure.

Last response: in Storage
August 7, 2013 12:34:27 PM

Hello,

So my first external hard drive was a Seagate Fr eeAgent 500GB which i bought years ago. It has become not enough space and i am looking into a whole new set up.

My first thought was to buy a single drive enclosure with a single hard drive (either 1 or 2 TB). But i am wondering how long that will last me. If it is not too much of a jump to get a 2 or 4 bay enclosure i might as well (assuming it will last me a long time).

Here are some of my specifications for what i want:

I will probably only need a couple Terrabytes of space.
I definitely want it to be USB 3.0, and i would prefer that it is also eSata
It does not need to be portable
Fan is a plus (but i don't know how necessary it is)
If the drive is 2-bay i would like RAID 1 capabilties
If the drive is 4-bay I would like RAID 5 and RAID 10 capabilties

My budget for the enclosure would probably be up to $60 for a single drive enclosure, and up to $150 for a four-bay enclosure.

Then I also need to buy a hard drive, I am not going to list a budget so much as I am going to say that I would like a very reliable and preferably quick 1 or 2 TB drive.

Looking at newegg it seems I might not be able to get a good 4 bay enclosure for that price so I am currently leaning towards a single bay enclosure for the purposes of simplicity and budget-friendliness

Also what are the most reliable 1 and 2 terrabyte drives? I hear bad things about seagate drives lately...

Thanks for the recommendations!

EDIT: So apparently my budget is much too low for a four-bay enclosure. So instead just some single drive enclosures with USB 3 and eSata would be appreciated! Also some reliable hard disk recommendations would be great.
a b G Storage
August 7, 2013 1:05:15 PM

sudosilman said:
Hello,

So my first external hard drive was a Seagate Fr eeAgent 500GB which i bought years ago. It has become not enough space and i am looking into a whole new set up.

My first thought was to buy a single drive enclosure with a single hard drive (either 1 or 2 TB). But i am wondering how long that will last me. If it is not too much of a jump to get a 2 or 4 bay enclosure i might as well (assuming it will last me a long time).

My budget for the enclosure would probably be up to $60 for a single drive enclosure, and up to $150 for a four-bay enclosure.

Then I also need to buy a hard drive, I am not going to list a budget so much as I am going to say that I would like a very reliable and preferably quick 1 or 2 TB drive.

Looking at newegg it seems I might not be able to get a good 4 bay enclosure for that price so I am currently leaning towards a single bay enclosure for the purposes of simplicity and budget-friendliness

Also what are the most reliable 1 and 2 terrabyte drives? I hear bad things about seagate drives lately...

your budget is too low for 4 drives cage with Raid capabilities ... and over that Dual outputs too :) 
Related resources
August 7, 2013 1:08:05 PM

SNA3 said:
sudosilman said:
Hello,

your budget is too low for 4 drives cage with Raid capabilities ... and over that Dual outputs too :) 

Mk, then just some suggestions for single drive enclosures would be appreciated!
August 7, 2013 1:32:46 PM

I was under the impresion that eSata was faster (6gb/s as compared to USB 3.0 5gb/s).

Can you recommend any usb 3.0 only devices that are cheaper and just as reliable?
a c 880 G Storage
August 7, 2013 1:40:30 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

80mm fan, esata, usb3, works with drives >2tb, pretty solid contruction... $40 shipped

@SNA3 , exactly how is usb3 faster than esata? Neither one can make a harddrive transfer any faster than the hard drive could if it were internal. ie- dont expect 5gb/s. Most modern drives transfer at about 140MB/s.
a b G Storage
August 7, 2013 1:42:11 PM

sudosilman said:

I was under the impresion that eSata was faster (6gb/s as compared to USB 3.0 5gb/s).

Can you recommend any usb 3.0 only devices that are cheaper and just as reliable?

you cant reach that bandwidth using normal drives .. you will need SSD for that .. so it is not practical., plus most Esata boxes are Sata2 not 3
a b G Storage
August 7, 2013 1:43:43 PM

popatim said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

80mm fan, esata, usb3, works with drives >2tb, pretty solid contruction... $40 shipped

@SNA3 , exactly how is usb3 faster than esata? Neither one can make a harddrive transfer any faster than the hard drive could if it were internal.

Most Esata boxes are SATA2 not Sata3 ...

and I know the mechanical Drives cant reach that , he will need SSD

October 7, 2013 8:38:06 AM

sudosilman said:
what are the most reliable 1 and 2 terrabyte drives?

If you ask that because you care if they take data with them when they die, that's now a very good question.

All hard drives die, and far more than any other computer component. (i.e. their failure rates are far closer to each other than they are to the failure rates other components.)

So back it up somehow or plan to lose it.
!