Having internet problems

C418

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
Hi all, i am new on this forum.

I have tried connecting my PC to the internet via my laptop with an ethernet cable and i keep getting a problem. It says that "Local area network doesn't have a valid IP configuration" and I am having trouble solving that. I have all of the internet sharing settings on but nothing seems to work, I keep getting the same error. I was wondering if anybody could please help me out, I have been dealing with this problem on numerous computers when trying to do the same thing for months. Thanks in advance.

what OS is on the laptop?

did you enable ICS (internet connection sharing)?

is the PC directly connected to the laptop or are you using a switch?

are you using a crossover or regular network cable?

C418

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

Windows 7 Home Premium Genuine on the laptop
Windows 7 Ultimate Service pack 1 Not Genuine on the desktop(For some reason. Bought the OS with my own money but it calims its not genuine, working on getting that fixed.)
ICS is enabled on the laptop
and both computers are connected through ethernet ports via an ethernet cable that came with my xbox.
It worked fine before with my laptop and my old PC with the same cable many times, that was the only way i could get wifi on my desktop.
I just recently upgraded my desktop motherboard though and since then i have not been able to get wifi on it. The motherboard is an ASRock 960GM U3S3 FX. It comes with a gigabit ethernet card. Anyway I've tried reinstalling the drivers 4 times. Twice with the disk that came with it, and twice with drivers from the internet. Neither worked, so im guessing either the settings are messed up or the motherboard is. Im still using the same operating system on both PC's by the way, no change in them.