Sign in with
Your question

Opinions on 1200~ $ gaming system setup

Last response: in Components
August 7, 2013 12:44:10 PM

I want to be able to overclock and i want to use sli in the future . any opinion/help is appreciated. I would like your opinions onn what i can change to make my setup more cost efficient.
I dont need peripherals or OS . Also i am going to add one 1TB HDD

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($123.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($72.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($94.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($84.50 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SN-208DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1084.41
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-07 15:43 EDT-0400)
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2013 1:40:31 PM

This is not bad, but can be improved. Change the CPU for a 4670K and the motherboard to a MSI Z87 GD65. The RAM is good. The SSD is not bad but the 840 Pro performs much better. The graphics card is good. The case is also good, although you can get a standard Phantom full tower for 79$ in white. The PSU should be changed, for now, your power supply can handle 1 graphics card and overclocking, but not 2, if you want to stick to 1 card, get a HX750, if you want to go 2 cards soon, get a HX1050 or something in between 850 watts and 1000 watts that has 80+ Gold rating. For hard drive, get Seagate Barracuda, it is the best for the money.
August 8, 2013 3:42:45 AM

David Lugarov said:
This is not bad, but can be improved. Change the CPU for a 4670K and the motherboard to a MSI Z87 GD65. The RAM is good. The SSD is not bad but the 840 Pro performs much better. The graphics card is good. The case is also good, although you can get a standard Phantom full tower for 79$ in white. The PSU should be changed, for now, your power supply can handle 1 graphics card and overclocking, but not 2, if you want to stick to 1 card, get a HX750, if you want to go 2 cards soon, get a HX1050 or something in between 850 watts and 1000 watts that has 80+ Gold rating. For hard drive, get Seagate Barracuda, it is the best for the money.

I've heard that Haswell CPU have some overclocking heat problems . and can you suggest me a setup in pcpartpicker?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2013 6:23:26 AM

John Koligliaths said:
David Lugarov said:

I've heard that Haswell CPU have some overclocking heat problems . and can you suggest me a setup in pcpartpicker?

Here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1pEZp

The stories about Haswell having heat problems, that's just kids whining, the dye has been reduced, the CPU is smaller, it's obviously going to heat up more, but that's just by a couple degress over the 3rd gen. You won't encounter any problems trust me.
a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2013 11:19:36 AM

You're welcome, glad I could assist you, if you have any other questions relating to your build later on, inbox me, I'll be happy to answer. And if you have decided to go with the build, make sure to choose a best answer and close this thread.
August 8, 2013 11:23:53 AM

David Lugarov said:
You're welcome, glad I could assist you, if you have any other questions relating to your build later on, inbox me, I'll be happy to answer. And if you have decided to go with the build, make sure to choose a best answer and close this thread.

For an unknown reason i cant select a best solution :/ 

a b à CPUs
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2013 11:38:11 AM

John Koligliaths said:
David Lugarov said:

For an unknown reason i cant select a best solution :/ 

Well hahah that's unheard of, lol, refresh the page I guess? Hahaha
!