i7 3770k Overclocking Higher Than Intended

lxWicKeDxl

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
So, I was looking at my overclock temps and realized they are rather high for having the Evo 212 installed.

While Idle, my cpu is running around 45-50C. Under full load I am pushing temps of 85C. Usually it hovers around 80C under full load, but I have noticed it hit 85 on occasion. I feel as if I have done something wrong. My temps shouldn't be reaching that high with the Evo 212 installed with 1 fan intake attached and 1 out.

System:

i7 3770k @ 4.5 GHz
Volt: 1.29 (I'm not 100% sure about the volt, I'm at work atm and can't check it. More like 98% sure it is about 1.29)
Motherboard: EVGA Z68 FTW
PSU: Coolermaster 1,000W

BTW, I am someone new to overclocking. I'm sure I've got something wrong.

Your idle at 45c ~ 50c does seem high, but your load temps at 80c ~ 85c is normal for a 3770K with a 4.5ghz overclock, the 212EVO is only capable of so much and what it can deliver is totally dependent on the case airflow, the fans it is running, and it's thermal seating as Tradesman1 has said.

Check your thermal footprint as suggested, along with your case airflow as the cooler needs fresh air to do it's job better regarding idling, but as long as you are pumping 1.29v to the CPU you can expect those higher temperatures.

From my own experience changing the fans to higher CFM ratings like 110cfm aren't going to help it but by maybe 1c ~ 2c, and could actually be a waste of money, because it is basically at its cooling capabilities with the Cooler Master fans.

Running 4.5ghz at a lower voltage will help temperatures if you can lower it and remain stable, or if you can afford it you can always get yourself a better quality air cooling solution than the CMH212EVO.

Once you start jacking up the voltage to the 3770K it returns some serious heat, and that heat has to be dealt with.

The better cooling solution you have the better idle and load temperatures you get.