Will a benq 2420T and a second monitor run on my AMD HD 6850

Sunsepter

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013
As the title suggests...I'm going to be getting a second monitor (the Benq 2420T 120hz) in addition to the samsung 27inch screen I have now.

Can my AMD 6850 run both monitors simultaneously, gaming on one, and using the other separately?

Do I need to order a separate cable with the Benq to get it to perform at 120hz, or does it come with the proper cables?

I will be upgrading to a GTX 670 in the near future so I would not be using the 6850 for an extensively long time.

Appreciate the response(s), GPU's and monitors are not my strong suit.

Also, if you have any recommendations rather than a 670 for an upgrade I'd gladly take the advice, more opinions never hurt.

Edit: I will be running on native 1080 if that has any relevance in the matter.

Solution
You actually can't put two cards into one PC and run separate monitors off each. You can crossfire or SLI very similar cards together, but you still have to plug into a single card. You most definitely can't use an AMD and nvidia card at the same time. As for running two monitors, if you're just gaming on one monitor and have another just sitting on the desktop, it will have an extremely minimal impact on your gaming, if you game across both monitors, well that's something different.

ryan27968

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013
They will run off one card, however, your gaming performance will not be as good. Here is what you need to do: get another video card and put both of them in your pc at the same time. Then you can run one monitor off each card.

Sunsepter

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

Had a feeling that would be the most ideal seutp, looks like I'll probably run just the BenQ monitor until my 670 arrives and run both off of seperate cards. cheers mate.

As for the cables - no they aren't just cables, to get the 120hz out of the monitor I needed to buy a seperate one.

Jaxem

Honorable
You actually can't put two cards into one PC and run separate monitors off each. You can crossfire or SLI very similar cards together, but you still have to plug into a single card. You most definitely can't use an AMD and nvidia card at the same time. As for running two monitors, if you're just gaming on one monitor and have another just sitting on the desktop, it will have an extremely minimal impact on your gaming, if you game across both monitors, well that's something different.

Solution

ryan27968

Honorable
Apr 25, 2013

You are very mistaken here. each card can run independently without a problem. and gaming will suffer slightly on hight settings. Ever noticed how you get less frames per second in windowed mode in a game rather than ffull screen mode? Read this thread: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/286353-33-graphics-cards-monitors http://fbappointments.com/consumer-products/computers/144-how-to-run-2-different-amd-and-nvidia-video-cards

Jaxem

Honorable
Steps to Take to Mix Nvidia with AMD:

Install the AMD card in the first PCIE slot
Install the Nvidia card in the second or third slot
Reset CMOS, by removing the power cable and cmos battery

...These were written by someone who's never used a computer. If that's what you're going off of, you can't believe everything you read on the internet. The 3 year old toms thread isn't much better, the 'expert' in the thread is saying stuff that doesn't even make sense:
"Onboard graphics doesn't handle 2 cards"?

Drivers alone keep anything like that from working.

These people know what they're talking about:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/305049-30-nvidia-gpus-mobo

Sunsepter

Honorable
Aug 7, 2013

As I thought. I will be using it as a desktop etc screen I won't be playing across both screens.

Appreciate the responses everyone. I'll be seeing how it performs temporarily until my 670 comes in.