Can a 650W PSU handle a GTX 650?

Fishhyy

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
The website says in the power requirements:
450w but i was wondering if it meant i needed a 450W PSU or do i need 450W of spare power on my PSU?

SNA3

Honorable

Thats for the whole syste m ... GTX 650 can work with 300 watts power supply only ..

Fishhyy

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Thanks guys, I just found the receipt and it said that my PSU had a PEAK power of 650w and a TRUE power of 400w does this change anything? And i forgot to mention that it wasn't just the normal edition, the one I'm looking at is a Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti Boost OC 2GB. Soooooooooo I'm not sure anymore.

SNA3

Honorable

650 ti boos runs at 140 watts , the whole system will run at 350 watts with it . no worries

any brand that lists their "peak power" is dodgy. All good quality brands only list their continuous power output. You will probably find your PSU wont last long due to poor quality. What brand is it? and what are the specs on the 12v rail? that is the most important.

SNA3

Honorable

you people dont know that the 12V rail recommendation is for all system and not the GPU alone ... and it differs from CPU to CPU and from system to system .

and 400 watts is enough for his system .. he does not even need 650 watts nor 400 watts ... his system will run at 350 watts ONLY

so you buy the minimum psu required for your system always? I wouldnt, i would buy something with room to spare for upgrades. cut what he has is probably fine, it would be good to know the brand and specs, If you have ever read reviews, some psu's rated at say 600w, can often fail to produce 300w under stress testing. PSU manufacturers lie about the power ratings, particularly the budget ones.

SNA3

Honorable

he asked a question , can it handle it ? I said yes .

I dont need previews , been assembling Systems for 20 years :)

If your that experienced then you should read reviews. you should be able to understand that just because a psu has a sticker with XXX amount of watts, doesn't mean it can actually produce that. Maybe 20 years ago that was the case, but now with all the cheap dodgy crap coming out of china, you don't always get whats on the label. That is why you can pay $35 for a 600w psu, or $35 for a 350w psu, there is often justification in the price difference - the psu with a 600w sticker will probably perform like a 350w unit.
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Coolmax-CUL-750B-750-W-Power-Supply-Review/977/10
some light reading for you, a 750w psu that cant produce more than 450w. Not only that but cheap psu's like this will not likely last more than a year and when they fail can destroy other PC components. i was a victim of such PSU mis-labeling going back quite a few years, and my motherboard blew up when the psu blew. Now i always make sure i read a review of a PSU i wish to buy, and stick to well respected brands.