Sign in with
Your question

Building My First Custom PC

Last response: in Systems
August 8, 2013 9:02:42 AM

I'm building my first PC and need to know if all of the parts work with each other. If anyone could tell me a better GPU, CPU, etc... for a better price and performance, that would be great too.

- Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D - $189.99

- Power Supply: Cooler Master V1000 RSA00-AFBAG1-US - $209.99

- Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 - $164.99

- CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge - $299.99

- RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series - $254.99

- GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N680OC-2GD GeForce GTX 680 - $419.99

- Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM - $99.99

- DVD Burner: LG 24x DVD Burner - $17.99

- Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D – $79.99

- Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - $32.99

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

More about : building custom

August 8, 2013 10:26:49 AM

im assuming its for gaming

you dont really need a sound card unless you need it for something specifically
you didnt put down how much ram you had but im assuming its more than 8 gb, while you only need 8 gb for gaming
you also dont need an i7 for games, an i5 will do
gtx 760 might be a better value. it still games really well but is a little over half the price of that 680

^^if you are doing things other than gaming then the above recommendations might not hold true

i dont think you need such a big power supply unless you plan to sli, but regardless look into the corsair ax series
look into fractal design cases, i think they are cheaper and yet also made well
August 8, 2013 11:01:44 AM

mc962 said:
im assuming its for gaming

you dont really need a sound card unless you need it for something specifically
you didnt put down how much ram you had but im assuming its more than 8 gb, while you only need 8 gb for gaming
you also dont need an i7 for games, an i5 will do
gtx 760 might be a better value. it still games really well but is a little over half the price of that 680

^^if you are doing things other than gaming then the above recommendations might not hold true

i dont think you need such a big power supply unless you plan to sli, but regardless look into the corsair ax series
look into fractal design cases, i think they are cheaper and yet also made well

Thanks for the feedback. Yes it's for gaming, I am going for 32GB RAM, it seems like overkill but, I thought of it this way, I will never have to upgrade my RAM if I do got for 32GB. Pretty much the same thing with the CPU, I doubt I would ever have to upgrade a i5 though. I mainly want the sound card because it's not really super expensive and I have 7.1 headset and speaker system and wanted the full potential of both. I will look into the GTX 760, mainly for money reasons. I was afraid the power consumption was going to be quite a bit, so I just went with a rather large one. Thanks again for the feedback I will definitely look into the power supply and GPU.
Related resources
August 8, 2013 11:32:38 AM

look at the ram from another perspective..you can take the money saved on ram and put it into other stuff like better gpu, motherboard, case, psu, etc. you can always (usually) upgrade to more ram fairly easily, but stuff like case, psu, and potentially gpu can be a bit more hassle. That and the extra ram really has very little benefit unless you use a program that actually needs it which games don't.
same thing with an i7, but in that case a cpu is a bit trickier to upgrade so if you feel like spending the money, well, it's your choice

you could definitely take some of the money saved from above tips and put it toward a nicely sized SSD as i dont think you listed one. 256 gb or even a 512 gb if it fits your budget

in the end it's all about how much you are willing to spend. most people usually have a budget that won't let them get all the above hardware and so it makes no sense if they are just gaming. if you are willing to spend all the money then, well, it's not like that extra performance will hurt you. at most you might look into slightly better cooling and more case fans as i think the i7 runs a bit hotter than the i5 (although i doubt it's any truly noticeable difference for the most part). but otherwise there isnt really anything particularly wrong with the more powerful hardware other than that it might consume it a little more power (and a lot more money)
August 8, 2013 11:42:51 AM

Budget please.

What are you going to do with this pc ?

8gb memory is plenty.
I5-4670k is plenty
W7 home edition is plenty
550w psu is plenty for 1 gpu, 750w for 2

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($305.38 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($90.91 @ Amazon)
Total: $1108.21
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-08 14:48 EDT-0400)

Alternative case:
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-case-casw810m1
August 8, 2013 11:47:19 AM

Wow $320 for Win 7 ultimate? Unless there's a very specific feature on the ultimate edition the basic edition should do everything you need and save you ~$220. I would say a lot of the other stuff on that PC is overkill as well. There's a good thread on the system forum for $2000 builds and $1000 builds. If you just need a good gaming PC do the $1000 build and spend another $1000 on getting 3 matching monitors. If you need it for processing intense applications and other things some of the stuff you've got will be good.
August 8, 2013 12:06:03 PM

So I did some tweeking to my list.

Case: Corsair Obsidian 650D - $189.99

Power Supply: Rosewill CAPSTONE-750 750W- $99.99

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 - $164.99

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge - $219.99

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB - $139.99

GPU: GIGABYTE GV-N760OC-2GD REV2.0 GeForce GTX 760 - $259.99

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 7200 RPM - $99.99

DVD Burner: LG 24x DVD Burner - $17.99

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D – $79.99

Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - $32.99

SSD: SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD120BW - $109.99

My main concern is that one thing won't work with everything else.

August 8, 2013 12:19:33 PM

Why no haswell
Why ultimate

Xfx,seasonic,corsair psu is better
August 8, 2013 12:19:33 PM

All of those things should be compatible but I go back to the Win7 Ultimate for $320 vs. Win 7 home for $100.

I would still say that 16GB RAM is more than necessary, but still much better than before. When you build a PC there gets to be a point where the gains in performance do not match the increases in price. The most expensive hardware is often significantly more expensive than the "next best thing" and you're not going to notice a significant increase in performance with "the next best thing." I think the first build was probably the most expensive I've ever seen that wasn't intentionally expensive.
August 8, 2013 12:24:48 PM

that should all fit together, just check if msi has any ram compatibility charts if you want to do so

check out the 840 pro version of that ssd

is there any particular feature you need with Ultimate? because otherwise, like others have said, it is a bit wasteful
August 8, 2013 12:24:58 PM

As long as everything is compatible, I will probably go with the second build. Might get a less expensive OS though. Win 7 Pro maybe?
August 8, 2013 12:30:19 PM

mc962 said:
that should all fit together, just check if msi has any ram compatibility charts if you want to do so

is there any particular feature you need with Ultimate? because otherwise, like others have said, it is a bit wasteful

I'm not sure where, but I thought Ultimate would have better performance.
August 8, 2013 12:31:08 PM

only get the more expensive os if it has some sort of feature you need/actually want, otherwise it's even more useless than the extra hardware (at least that brings more potential)

home premium should really have all that you need and probably more
August 8, 2013 12:33:50 PM

TeeKayWilson said:
mc962 said:

while i dont know for sure, im pretty sure the main features that you get that a lot of people are usually interested in is encryption and multi-language support, and that language support now is free in the basic windows 8 edition
August 8, 2013 12:34:53 PM

TeeKayWilson said:
mc962 said:

I'm not sure where, but I thought Ultimate would have better performance.

There's no performance difference in the various versions of Windows. They just come with different functionality not performance levels. More $ isn't always better if there's no use for it.
August 8, 2013 12:41:46 PM

Then I will probably go with Home Premium, and get two of those SSD's with the extra money.

August 8, 2013 12:45:49 PM

TeeKayWilson said:
Then I will probably go with Home Premium, and get two of those SSD's with the extra money.

I would say 2 SSDs is overkill. If you think about things any 128GB SSD will probably hold ~8 installed PC games at once + your operating system. You can run all of that off your SSD. If you need more storage a standard HDD will access an mp3 or movie plenty fast. If you get a larger SSD you can hold more games obviously. Personally I don't play more than 3 or 4 different games at a time and can uninstall/reinstall as necessary on my 128gb SSD.

August 8, 2013 12:52:55 PM

ncasolo said:
TeeKayWilson said:

I would say 2 SSDs is overkill. If you think about things any 128GB SSD will probably hold ~8 installed PC games at once + your operating system. You can run all of that off your SSD. If you need more storage a standard HDD will access an mp3 or movie plenty fast. If you get a larger SSD you can hold more games obviously. Personally I don't play more than 3 or 4 different games at a time and can uninstall/reinstall as necessary on my 128gb SSD.

I was going to put just my OS on one and games on the other, but now that I think about it 128GB does sound a bit much for just the OS. Might go for one 840 pro then.
August 8, 2013 12:53:52 PM

i might get a 256 gb ssd as it can store pretty much anything that i ever might want to regularly access including all of my games. i believe they are also a bit faster than 128 gb although i doubt it's noticeable

regardless, 128 gb is likely more than enough, i dont think ive ever even reached 100 gb on a computer before (although any media like movies/music/etc. i keep on an external drive)
August 8, 2013 1:33:45 PM

mc962 said:
i might get a 256 gb ssd as it can store pretty much anything that i ever might want to regularly access including all of my games. i believe they are also a bit faster than 128 gb although i doubt it's noticeable

regardless, 128 gb is likely more than enough, i dont think ive ever even reached 100 gb on a computer before (although any media like movies/music/etc. i keep on an external drive)

I like the idea of having an external for movies, music and other sorts of media. So with everything added up it's about $1700, but I can do without the SSD and external for now, so $1500

August 8, 2013 9:11:10 PM

well, its only external because i only own a laptop right now so multiple drives isnt really an option. with a desktop you can fit like 10 drives in there, so there isnt really a need for an external unless you want some sort of physically separate media for some reason (backup, mobility, etc.)
!