Overheating CPU, possibly PSU

hypnopaedia

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
Hey guys, I have a big problem with my computer, specifically my CPU, overheating.

About a week ago, I could hear my cpu fan running ridiculously fast. I installed some software to see the cpu temp, and it turns out the cpu was running at over 55C while idle.

When I tried to take the heatsink out in order to try to readjust or at least see what the problem was, the thermal paste had gotten so hot it had glued the cpu to the heatsink, making it impossible to put back in.

I purchased a new CPU, an AMD FX 6300 and upon turning on my computer, i found that the new CPU was also idling at above 55C. I've checked my heatsink which doesn't seem to be the problem. However, upon further observation, the PSU felt even hotter than the CPU. The PSU I have is a 620W Seasonic, and should have no trouble running the hardware in my computer. However, I was wondering whether or not the heat from the psu, whatever may be causing it, is actually overheating the cpu. They are close in proximity in the case, so it's not farfetched, but I fail to see how this could occur, or why my psu would be so hot. Either way I can't run my computer without gluing the heatsink to the cpu again, so I need some help.

Motherboard: ASRock N68C-GS FX

GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX650 not sure the wattage, but it's somewhere around 120W

CPU: AMD FX 6300 (95W)

PSU: Seasonic 620W

David Lugarov

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Many things can be causing this, it's summer, so take in account the high room temp, second, your case might not be well ventilated, also, you should get an aftermarket cooler, something like a hyper 212 evo or similar

hypnopaedia

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013

I've kept the room temp at 65-70 day round, so the room temp can't be the problem. Do you really think the only solution is to pay more money for a new cooler? I'm trying to figure out why it would be so hot in the first place. A month ago, everything was running at normal temps. One day the cpu was suddenly overheated. The stock fan and heatsink were doing a fine job for a long while.

David Lugarov

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Your room temp is good since that's Fahrenheit, I'm European so I use Celsius, but I know that's cool. Umm, if it just suddenly overheated, you should check if your heatsink and stock fan are still tightly stuck to the mobo, and you should change the thermal paste. I do recommend investing on an aftermarket solution, there's some out there that cost around 20 to 30 bucks, which is not expensive, and they make a huge difference, but first, change the thermal paste and check if your stock fan is spinning at the same speed as it should be and if it's tightly placed against the CPU.

hypnopaedia

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013

Yes 65-70 is very cool haha. The room temp is ideal for computer use.

The part about the heatsink: yes it just suddenly overheated. However, like i said i changed the cpu/fan/heatsink and the new cpu is still overheating. I can hear the fan struggling to run fast enough to keep the cpu cool. It runs very loud, and for a new unit, that's definetely a problem. I just checked the heatsink to make sure it was secured tightly and it was. However, the paste had almost suctioned the heatsink to the cpu...and i had only had the computer on for about 15 minutes! I'm going to try the thermal paste, and will probably order the 212 evo today. I'm very happy to see it's not much more than $40. What paste do you recommend i switch to?

hypnopaedia

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013

i will try one of those. I can acquire them locally, correct? also if this does not mitigate the problem, what should i do?

David Lugarov

Honorable
May 3, 2013

New thermal paste takes a couple days of rest to do it's work so don't rush it and wait it out, and there's no way that a Hyper 212 EVO and better thermal paste don't help.

hypnopaedia

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013
I haven't gotten my fan/thermal paste yet, but you were right about giving the new cpu/paste a few days; thought the software I'm using to tell the temperature says the cpu is still running above 55C, upon feeling the cpu it didn't feel as hot or run as loudly. Maybe the software is wrong; either way I'm going to invest in a better fan and paste to help with overclocking when I get there. If any other changes arise I'll update you.

hypnopaedia

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013

I will do that soon, but I had another question. The cpu has UCC option and I was wondering whether or not that would cause my cpu to run hotter. I'm not sure how similar UCC is to over clocking.

David Lugarov

Honorable
May 3, 2013
UCC is an option your AsRock mobo has, what it does is unlock your CPU cores and kind of enables hyperthreading, for example, if you had a 2 core phenom CPU, now it'll be a quad core phenom. Now, there's a pretty big risk as many things might crash because of the cores running at full frequency, there's a risk to using that option, but for those that are desperately trying to squeeze some more juice out of their processor, that might come in handy. Now, you have an FX 6300 CPU, that is already unlocked. So, overclocking is much better, since, if done right, there's no risk to it.

Vacka

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
I hope you are not using the stock fan on the fx because amd has pretty shitty stock fans and if you are overclocking too it is really bad to do it with this fan.

hypnopaedia

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013

I am using the stockfan but only using my computer about an hour or two at a time until my 212 evo comes in. I'm being very careful

hypnopaedia

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013

Got it. I really appreciate that information because i didn't know the differences/risks and now I most likely won't be using UCC. Also since we're on the subject, what do you mean by overclocking "done right"...any specific tips/warnings you can give me? That's something I've never really been involved in and I would appreciate any advice you have, especially in my situation.

David Lugarov

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Well since you are getting a decent coooler, the EVO, and possibly the best thermal paste there is, you can safely push up to 4.3GHz, or even more. What I meant when I said, if done right, is that overclocking is not something you can rush, you have to do it slowly and smoothly. You add 0.5 Ghz at first, then run your CPU at full load, just for 20 minutes or so. Check the temps in the meantime, you're not getting anything over 65 - 70? You're good to add another 0.3, maybe you'll have to increase the voltage a bit for stability, do that, then check your temps again, still good? Maybe 0.2Ghz extra will do it. A last quick test or just playing a good game will be enough to test your CPU stability, then you're good to go. Also, update me with your CPU temps once you get your 212 EVO. Thanks! :D

hypnopaedia

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013

You have been absolutely awesome, my friend. thank you for all your help.!!! Should I leave this thread open until I can update you with temps? I won't really know whether or not the problem is solved until i get my new equipment so I'll just wait until I can update you. But thank you again

David Lugarov

Honorable
May 3, 2013
You should leave it open, since technically your problem still isn't solved, but it's on its way to the solution. Once you do get lower temps, you can safely close this thread, and I'd appreciate it if you chose a best answer. Cheers!

hypnopaedia

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013

I would like to choose best answer for you, but I made the thread discussion instead of question :/ I need to get in contact with a moderator somehow so change it.

David Lugarov

Honorable
May 3, 2013
Oh that's right, didn't notice it. That's completely fine, I'm just glad that I could help you. If you ever have a question in the future, message me, unless I'm dead, I'll answer in a few hours.

hypnopaedia

Honorable
Aug 8, 2013

Thanks so much again dude, you've been a big help. Sorry I can't pick best answer, I'll be sure to make my other threads questions from now on :)