My current setup is:
AMD FX 8320
ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
8 GB (4x2) G.SKILL Sniper Low Voltage Series DDR3 1600
Corsair CX 750M
EVGA GTX 760
NZXT Phantom 410 Case

It seems to be running fine at the normal settings, but I thought i'd try to see how overclocking would go. So I followed a guide to try reach 4.0 ghz and ran the prime95 test. What I noticed is that in HWMonitor, the CPU temperature was reaching dangerous numbers, up above 60. So I had to stop the test. The mainboard temperature remained stable.
When I run it without any overclocked settiings (Bios recommended default) the CPU temperature will reach up to 55 maybe more.
Also, something I have a question about. Is the heatsink on the EVO supposed to heat up? I have the fan attached to it, and the metal grated heatsink part NEVER gets hot. Could that be a sign I somehow messed up while applying thermal grease? Should i install more fans? The case has one going up and one going out the back. Also, I set my heatsink fan facing towards the hard drives and ssd drives because they were heating up a lot. Should i set up the fan to face towards the case fan that leads out the back? I know this is a lot of questions but I'm a first time builder and would really appreciate all the help. Thanks in advance!

schmuckley

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 18, 2011
If the metal on the sink isn't warming up..Do a reseat :D
I would exhaust the hot air out of the back...
If the air is getting hot that is..

IF, I'm understanding how you set it up?

It sounds like you have the CMH212EVO and the rear case exhaust fan canceling each other out, and that's BAD, it would be starving out the airflow through the heat sink.

Set up your airflow as best as you can in a front to rear flow path, that way the heat sink and rear exhaust are working together.

That will at the same time improve air being pulled over the HDDs.

HDDs don't get as hot as your overclocked CPU does!

svvparakala

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

Can you specify what reseat means please? new to all of this :p

svvparakala

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

A couple pictures:

B595plx.jpg

xpE7asl.jpg

schmuckley

Distinguished
BANNED
Jul 18, 2011

Take the cooler off,clean both surfaces with a coffee filter,reapply TIM,and re-fasten heatsink.
While you're at it..make the fan blow towards the back :D

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
fan adjust as mentioned above

...but... dangerous because above 60? sub 80 is ideal. stress test levels are expected on a cooling solution and OC level of that chip to be around 70-75 anyway.... so... huh?

If you are expecting to run stress test and stay below 60... you better get a custom loop water cooling setup asap :pt1cable:

svvparakala

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

So you're saying my cpu can handle 70 - 75? I won't suffer irreparable damage? The video I was watching , the guys says the max the cpu handles temperature wise is 60. And he was using a water cooler setup to keep it well below that. Maxing out at the 50's.
I heard good things about the EVO, do you think it's doing it's job if the temperature goes up to the 70's?
And once again, what damage will I recieve? You got any source of information where I can find out about my chips max stress level and all?
Thanks in advance and much appreciated for all the help!

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
Whoops!! I read that late last night and read it as 8350 not 8320. Yes 62c is core limit for 8320. Note: core, not package limit. 60c is everyday core limit for daily use.

EVO is a good budget cooler. It is not designed for end all OC solution. Keep that in mind. That said, at 4.0Ghz (what voltage are you at btw?) It should be able to handle it IF:
1) Fans on sink are setup right
2) Case cooling is setup right
3) Thermal paste is decent quality and properly applied

Properly applied means:
quality product such as Arctic MX-4
using rubbing alcohol and qtip (or i suppose coffee filter) to properly clean surface residue
applying bb size dot to middle of chip
placing heatsink flat - do not lay on at an angle!
tighten down each screw a little at a time to insure even pressure
Try the above listed suggestions (as others have listed and posted pics) and I have no doubt you will see a good 5c drop.

In addition, you are running a hot GPU card, and OC runs hot, so revisting your case's built in cooling capacity would be very imperative. Your front should be running 2x120mm intake. Top 2x120 exhaust, Rear 120 or 140 exhaust, side 120 or 140 intake. Running just 2 fans is... well you are experiencing the issue there.... consider getting an inexpensive 4 or 5 channel fan controller so you can turn down fans when not needed for performance and crank when wanting to blast the system.

svvparakala

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

Thanks for the info!
Couple more questions. So you do not recommend using the thermal paste that came with my cooler?
Also, I have three fans, one all the way in the front. and the cases has a fan controller. It runs up to 60 when j run prime at the 3.7 default speed. Also read somewhere you will rarely reach the intensity of the prime tests, so that means I'm safe for now right? I'm still planning a rework anyways. Just got myself a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Do I have to wait and purchase that special thermal paste? Also, I was actually thinking of buying extra fans what is a side fan? Can you review the phantom 410 case specs and give me a little instruction on where to place it? I know I have one open spot up top for an extra fan.

Once again thanks for all the help!

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
There are 2 mounts up top venting out the top of the case for 120mm fans. IIRC, you have to remove the clips of the top plastic to really get a goo eye on them. The side fan is simply a fan that mounts to the vented area of the left side panel - where all the little pokey holes are? facing right at your GPU? yup - there - meant for a fan mount.

Stock thermal paste is rarely decent quality. So generally - no. don't recommend it. Spend a few bucks and get quality stuff. My personal fav is Tuniq TX-4, though Arctic MX-4 is nearly as good and a bit cheaper. Cleaning the mount now and re using stock stuff, or waiting til you have better is completely up to you.

The point of stress testing is worst case scenario granted. But of course, it is also designed to poke holes in flaws and weak links. Obviously you have some as we have seen. So it did it's job. Will you reach these levels on a daily basis - unlikely. But by fixing weak links, your daily use will be even more reliable, causing your system to run cooler, causing system to last longer, and causing system to perform more smoothly

svvparakala

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Hey Guys, thanks for all the info. I'm back after ordering the different parts. So I installed two new fans and my temperature at static is a lot better. Also, when I run the stress test at default settings i'm getting 50 tops. So thats great. I also reseated my cpu cooler With the new thermal paste. Now the temperature is still maxing out at 50 so I don't know if that made much of a difference..
Now, there's still a problem. I move my multiplier from 175 to 200, so I can get the 4.0 ghz speed i want. The stress test still makes it spike up all the way to 63 in less than 5 minutes. So what now? Can I continue to run the computer at this speed? Or will I kill my processor with overheating? I'm gonna try running Battlefield 3, or stream a game or something and see what the temperatures look like then. But please help me out with anything I'm doing wrong?

i'm following this guy's settings on overclocking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MckeAmnDeTk

svvparakala

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

When I game, I keep CPUID HW Monitor running on the other monitor, and it says i reach a high of 53 on the CPU, and 73 on the gtx 760 w/ACX cooling.
I know stress testing is different from gaming, but as someone pointed out earlier, stress tests find holes. And I don't want my computer to spontaneously combust while I'm rendering a movie edit and doing something else. I also don't want my computer to live a very short life. And it seems like that's the direction it's headed with these stress test temp results :( am i wrong? overreacting? still very new to all this. Thanks for the info! Keep the replies coming! Very much appreciated :bounce:

(Also, I was playing BF3 online with ultra settings)

You'll never reach stress testing temperatures doing the regular things you do with your computer if you are at 53c CPU load temperature while gaming you're just fine, don't worry about it.

Your GPU temperature is good as well.

Enjoy, with No Worries. :) Ryan

svvparakala

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
So I was gaming today in the middle of the hot afternoon. Noticed now that my max gaming temperature is at 59. Graphics card maxing at 78.
Now should I be worried? Am I really unable to clock this processor up to 4.0 ghz, the speed at which the 8350 (technically same processor) comes at already?

Your CMH 212 EVO came with additional fan mounting clips did it not?

So adding a 2nd fan will improve your cooling performance, but the fans that come with the CMH 212 EVO are not the best performers to put on it, if you can afford changing the fans altogether, I suggest 2 of these Scythe Slipstream 1900rpm 110cfm.