Sign in with
Your question

Not all ram available

Last response: in Motherboards
August 9, 2013 5:48:55 AM

Hello,
I have been searchin for a way to activate my 4gb of unused ram. Windows tells me i have 7gb but 3gb available. I am running a asus m2n-sli. But i cannot tell whether its the deluxe version or not ( purchased the computer used) i have tried to update the bios and removed in the msconfig use max memory. When i go into the bios there is no load optimal bios settings just load default. There is also no extended memory mapping which i have read you can just select from the bios. Another thing i was thinking was the voltage setting but im not that technical and not really sure how or if i should change it or what setting to change it to. Any help would be greatly appreciated
K.m.

More about : ram

August 9, 2013 6:10:04 AM

I am running windows 7 64-bit
It also says in the bios 7gb and 3 available so it is being recognized by the bios as well. I will post my specs later on
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2013 6:28:13 AM

Rhaimon said:
It also says in the bios 7gb and 3 available so it is being recognized by the bios as well. I will post my specs later on

Did you put the RAM in the correct slots. You usually put them in the slots that are the same color.

Related resources
August 9, 2013 8:02:06 AM

IMetJesus said:
Rhaimon said:

Did you put the RAM in the correct slots. You usually put them in the slots that are the same color.

i am fairly certain they are in the correct spots. There are 4 slots linded up yellow black yellow black all with memory sticks in them and the correct type ddr2. When i checked them they where not plugged in tightly so i removed and re inserted them but it dis not do anything. Would they still be registered by windows and the bios if they where in an incorrect slot?

Update** you got me thinking tho. So i went in and checked the connections two of the sticks where not inserted properly... Been like that since i bought it years ago... Simple solution thanks K.M.
a b V Motherboard
August 9, 2013 8:10:55 AM

Rhaimon said:
IMetJesus said:
Rhaimon said:

i am fairly certain they are in the correct spots. There are 4 slots linded up yellow black yellow black all with memory sticks in them and the correct type ddr2. When i checked them they where not plugged in tightly so i removed and re inserted them but it dis not do anything. Would they still be registered by windows and the bios if they where in an incorrect slot?

I thought you had only two sticks, in that case it probably matters in which slots they are. Since you have all of the slots populated, it's a different story. Try testing them one by one in each slot, and see if all of them show up with the defined amount of memory on them. Also if you bought two dual channel packs in a different point in time then that could explain it.
Be sure to let me know if you figure something out!

!