Nvidia Pricing Track Record - GTX 770

edd677

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Hello friends!

I have had a GTX 295 since early 09, and it is now beginning to struggle in some games. I am therefore looking to buy a GTX 770 later this year (October ish) and have the following question, which I am hoping someone will be kind enough to try and answer!

1. Can one expect the launch of AMD's HD8000/HD9000 series (whichever it happens to be) to have an effect on the price of Nvidia's 700 series? I am happy to wait until later in the year, if it is likely we may see a price decline.

I am unaware of how Nvidia behave around competitors and the launch of their new products. I guess much of it depends on how competitive AMD's line-up is?

I will of course purchase the product which offers the highest performance for its value - if that product turns out to be an AMD equivalent, then so be it.

2. Tell me I don't have to wait for 800 series! ;)

David Lugarov

Honorable
May 3, 2013
You don't, and if you have 500$ to spend and have an SLI capable motherboard, my recommendation would be to buy 2 GTX 760s, no need for waiting, this has an incredibly low price as it is.

edd677

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
Hmmm, thats not a bad idea actually. My only worry is that I feel it is extremely rare to hear of SLI or Xfire solutions that don't encounter some issue of GPU optimization at some point?

David Lugarov

Honorable
May 3, 2013

SLI is much more developed than CrossFire, and these are modern, powerful cards, you won't encounter any issues, just make sure you have a decent power supply. 750 watts I recommend to be the minimum if you want to be able to overclock. If you can't get that, then either a 770, or a 780. But x2 760s will perform better than either one of the other two options. Now there are some games that don't make good use of SLI, but that's a thing of the past, you'll only encounter that issue in old games, newer games are much more optimized for SLI and even games as old as BF3 scale perfectly.