VRAM Usage/GPU Performance with duplicate desktops?

DirkXXVI

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
I know that if someone uses an extended desktop multi-monitor setup, particularly for gaming the GPU, will use up more VRAM. However I was wondering what effect duplicate desktops had on VRAM usage particularly in comparison to an extended desktop.

I was also wondering if duplicate desktops have any effect on performance when gaming. I currently have a GTX 770 4GB where I'm using both my 27 inch monitor and my 42 inch plasma.

Could I be risking a lower FPS when using this set up?

For now every game has easily been able to hit 60 fps on max settings using this set up but I have only tested Max Payne 3, Tomb Raider, Sleeping Dogs, and Arkham Asylum since I put together this set up.

Solution
You can check vram usage in msi afterburner, evga precision, gpuz, and many other softwares. Btw the size in inches of the display is irrelevant. The resolution is what makes the difference. A 60" 1080p tv will be the same as a 21" 1080p.

DirkXXVI

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013

Well I haven't run into any problems yet. Everything I've tested easily hit 60 fps on both monitors with mostly max settings (save extreme AA). I'm just curious if I'm likely to run into problems as more demanding games come out on the heels of the next gen consoles.

Ironically the most demading game I own, Crysis 3, won't run in 1080 on my TV, though I'm guessing thats mainly because it's a 720p plasma with 1080i capabilities. I will be getting a 1080p TV at the end of the year though.

You can check vram usage in msi afterburner, evga precision, gpuz, and many other softwares. Btw the size in inches of the display is irrelevant. The resolution is what makes the difference. A 60" 1080p tv will be the same as a 21" 1080p.

Solution