Can you help me with building this new computer

Saku Tuppurainen

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
Hello everyone

Building a powerful pc for gaming and multitasking can be hard if it is your first time and even finding all the components to it. Is some component compatible with other components and so on.. So here is what i have picked up:

Case: Cooler Master HAF-X Gaming Full Tower Case w/ 1x230mm Fan, 1x200mm Fans, 2xFront USB 3.0 Port
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3930K Six-Core 3.20 GHz 12MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011
Motherboard: (4-Way SLI/CrossFireX Support) ASUS Rampage IV Extreme Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX w/ ROG Connect, BT GO, OC Key, Subzero Sense & 7.1 HD Audio, Intel GbLAN, 5 Gen3 PCIe X16 & 1 PCIe X1
Memory: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/2133MHz Quad Channel Memory (G.SKILL Ripjaws X)
Video Card: 2 x PNY GeForce GTX 680 Graphics Cards (2-way SLI)
PSU: 860 Watts - Corsair AX860 860W 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Hard Drive: 500GB 2.5-inch SSD 840 Series
Data Hard Drive: 2TB (2TBx1) Western Digital Caviar Black SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
Optical drive: INTERNAL 14X BLU-RAY DISC REWRITER
Monitor: ASUS VS278Q-P Ultrafast 1ms 27-Inch LED-Lit Monitor

I hope that I have done all this right because of all the reading and searching what i have done in the internet. And I have a question about the PSU is it too big or small? I hope you can help me with this. My budget is what it is and with this set I'm planning to go further without upgrading it in next 12 months. Maybe in the future I could get a 4-way SLI in my system. And if some part is not compatible with other could you recommend some other for it.

Thanks in andvantance

what is your budget and what kind of multitasking do you plan on doing? That CPU is overkill for gaming and anything outside of rendering videos or 3d stuff.

For video, I think the 700 series are doing way better than the 600 series now.

You are spending way too much for a gaming rig. I mean there is no point in getting the 3930K for gaming when you can get similar gaming performance from a 200 dollars i5 or a 300 dollar i7. Also, going for LGA 2011 socket is really expensive

Also change the graphics card to a 780. It is much better than the 680.

You really do not need to spend so much on a gaming rig. Really you are overspending quite a lot. You should not spend anything more than 1500 dollars for a gaming PC.

My recommendation would be :

1. Go for i7 4770K + Asrock Z87 Extreme 6 Motherboard.
2. Change the graphics card to a 780.

Other than that things look quite okay to me.

Also can I know how much you are spending on your rig?

Saku Tuppurainen

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
My budget is about 2000€ so its about $2600 which includes monitor (maybe 3D monitor) and gaming mouse + keyboard.

I use it for gaming, internet, playing music and video editing (usually at same time) and what i want it to do is run at high fps even the most demanding games and programs.

So cuttin some of the CPU and mobo and adding it to graphic cards would be better? And that Asus mobo does dual PCIe X16 but Asrock does dual PCIe X8, so is the difference huge?

What store are you buying things from? Can you send me the link?

The PCIe x8 slot would have no problem if it is 3rd generation but if the x8 is 2nd generation then you should probably get the Asus motherboard.

The PCIe x8 3rd generation would give same performance as a PCIe x16 2nd generation since they have the same bandwidth. So the x8 slot is not a problem if it is Generation 3.0.

But if you want to use anything other than a graphics card in it then the PCIe x8 2nd generation should be enough for any Raid Controller, Sound Card, etc. So if you are not going to use that slot for graphics card then the x8 2nd gen slot should be enough.

Note : For using a graphics card, you need a PCIe x8 3rd Generation, PCIe x16 3rd generation or a PCIe x16 2nd generation. Anything less than that would bottleneck your GPU.

Saku Tuppurainen

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013

I have used amazon to see the prices but I probably get some components from my country. What do you think of ASUS MAXIMUS
VI FORMULA?

It is a very good motherboard but it is way overpriced. I mean you really do not need more than the Asrock Z87 Extreme 6, MSI Z87 GD65 Gaming, a Gigabyte Z87 UD4 (or UD5) or a Asus Z87 A / Plus

Choose any one from these boards. They cost about 150 dollars. Why spend more when you can have most of the features for a much lower price.

My recommendation would be Asrock Z87 Extreme 6 Motherboard. It is an awesome board.