Higher Mhz Ram [Stupid Question]

metalfist54

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013
Hey, I have a stupid question for you guys.

I'm going to be putting together a fairly high end $4800 build(so far) and I have a quick question about ram. I'm going to be going with a motherboard that says it supports ram that is over 1866Mhz but with a little * next to it saying (OC).

I might sound like an idiot but does this mean that I need to oc the motherboard? Is there a guide somewhere that you could link me to? If so is there somewhere that lists how much I need to OC it by to support faster ram?

Thanks for bearing with me, looking forward to a response!

edit: to clarify suppose that I buy 2133Mhz ram, what do I need to do so that I'm actually getting its speed and my mobo isn't defaulting it to a lower speed.

IMtoto

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
No you will not need to overclock your motherboard, it means that your 2133mhz ram willl not run at 2133mhz before you make(OC)it do so in the BIOS.
Don't worry, the ram will be able to run at 2133mhz as it's built to do so.

And as sidenote I would get 1.5V, not 1.65V memory, as intel doesn't support voltages over 1.5. There's not many 2133mhz memory that will run at 1.5V but Corsair has some at least on their Vengeance series.

But, you really don't gain much by going more than 1600mhz..

Reason for edit(s): Poor grammar/english

metalfist54

Honorable
Jul 19, 2013

Alright, I'm glad to hear that its that simple. Thanks for your response! Is there anything specific I should know when fiddling with this? I'll be doing it on an ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard, so is it pretty much change the settings then forget about it?

My cpu will already be oc'd to around 4.5Ghz so it shouldn't be a problem.