Are the components I want to buy compatible with my current?

Oliver Thiel

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013
I'm thinking of buy and installing myself, a new GPU and a PSU. Now here's the thing, my computer is a family computer and they are very worried that if I mess up installing (I won't) or if it's not compatible, that they won't be able to use it. I specs right now are:
Processor: Intel i5 2320 3Ghz
RAM: 5.9 usable
GPU: Internal GPU in CPU (which is exactly why I need to replace)
MOBO: Not sure but fairly certain ASUS, and only 350W (not sure if helps)

And here are the items I'm looking to buy:
GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125443
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139040

So I'm coming to you as the authority, are these item compatible?

rojodogg

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013
I agree you dont need a 750w PSU a 500w to 550w is more than enough. I asume you want to game that is why you want the gtx 660 GPU. You need to make sure the GPU will fit in your case and that it has a pci-e 2.0 slot, remember these cards take up 2 slots in your case because they are wide as well as long.

Oliver Thiel

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013

My dad just doesn't understand that getting a 550W PSU is great, especially if I were to get something in the future, he thinks that if I got just enough wattage, that that should be enough. I don't agree with him simply because it has no bad side effects and that it'd be good to have in case of additional expansions in the future. Am I right?

rojodogg

Honorable
Feb 22, 2013

With the age of your Motherboard (MOBO) I would look into replacing that while you are upgrading your other components. To be honest your system is getting old and upgrading it is not such a good ideal, better to build a new one with new components. You are not going to be going SLI with your old CPU and MOBO so you dont need a larger PSU, the newer CPU's and video cards use less watts than the older systems used. That is why we say you dont need a 750w PSU. What you should make sure you get is a 80 plus certified PSU.

Bad side effects.
- Worse efficiency as your further away from the peak of the efficiency curve (typically at ~70% load).
- If under idle load (which is the vast majority of the time) and load is under 20%, that 80+ Bronze badge and certification doesn't apply. Who knows how efficient it or how much voltage ripple its putting out.

Besides, for your rig I dont see a way you could even need 750W. You cant add in a 2nd card (PCIe bandwidth will prevent that) and graphics cards are only going to get more power efficient. By the time to you get a new rig, you will want a new PSU anyway.