Looking for a reliable motherboard

deanmcdonald

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
Hey guys, recently I built my own custom gaming PC and I feel like I skimped out on the processor and motherboard, so I'm looking to change it. I currently have the Asus M5A78L-M/USB mobo and the FX-4170 CPU. I plan on upgrading to an Intel i5-3570k but I'm stuck as to which motherboard to get (haven't had much experience). So some suggestions would be appreciated. I'm looking for a reliable board with USB 3.0 under £100, preferably. It doesn't have to support XFire or SLI as I never plan to use that feature, I prefer single cards. I don't know if the rest of my rig will affect the suggestions but I'll post it below anyway. Thanks in advance :)

(side question: can I use a 3rd party CPU cooler for both Intel and AMD CPUs? I bought a Titan air cooler for my current CPU but I'm not sure if I can still use it after I buy the i5)

Specs (after upgrade)

Intel i5-3570k
EVGA GTX 770 Superclocked
Kingston Hyper-X RAM 8GB
Corsair CX600 PSU
InWin MANA 136 Black Gaming Case

Jaxem

Honorable
Yeah, that is a bit of skimping. I'd say maybe this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/P8Z77-V-Motherboard-CrossFireX-Intelligent-Processors/dp/B007KZQE7Q/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376343976&sr=8-2&keywords=intel+motherboard

I have two Asus boards and they're good quality, have a great warranty, and look very nice. This board has USB 3.0 on back and header for front panel. It does have xfire and sli support, but most mid to high end boards do.

I'd imagine your cooler should work, you'll have to check the documentation for your cooler and see what's listed though, the cooler manufacturer decides which sockets to support, so you may have the right parts/adapters for it, but maybe not. What model is the cooler?