Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Best air cooling for A-10-6800K Richland? ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 or Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO?

Last response: in Components
Share
August 11, 2013 6:12:34 AM

I'm trying to decide which of the two coolers to purchase. Based upon price, reliability and the cooling performance of each I'd like advice on which one best for the money.

Newegg has had the EVO for anywhere from $29.99 to their current $39.99. A big difference in prices I believe and am not happy with that. The Arctic Freezer 7 has been more or less constant at about $25. They did have it on sale for as low $18 earlier this year. I could wait for a price drop on either but want to know what would be both best for my CPU and most economical. If I can save a few bucks on one or the other it would be helpful.

Another cooler I've considered is the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus. It's a lesser model of the EVO and considering some of the pricing changes of Newegg, the current price of $29.99 for this one isn't much of a deal maker. But I'd include this one as part of a possible comparison.
August 11, 2013 3:15:13 PM

Another consideration I have concerns my case. I'm not worried about the size of the cooler other than if it will cover up a memory slot. That may not happen as my Ram isn't that large (a semi low profile Kingston Hyper X 2 stick setup). Of course I will do the CPU, Cooler and Ram install outside the case. It's easier that way. My case is a Rosewill Thor V2 with its MONSTER 230mm fans (3 of them) plus a rear 140mm fan. I'm wondering how much cooler do I really need and what I can get away with give the size and number of case fans.
Related resources
August 11, 2013 3:15:14 PM

Another consideration I have concerns my case. I'm not worried about the size of the cooler other than if it will cover up a memory slot. That may not happen as my Ram isn't that large (a semi low profile Kingston Hyper X 2 stick setup). Of course I will do the CPU, Cooler and Ram install outside the case. It's easier that way. My case is a Rosewill Thor V2 with its MONSTER 230mm fans (3 of them) plus a rear 140mm fan. I'm wondering how much cooler do I really need and what I can get away with give the size and number of case fans.
a b À AMD
August 11, 2013 3:26:17 PM

The best u can get is a 212 evo it is the best cooler under 50$ as it beats even entry level liquid cooling system like antec 620,corsair h60
It will keep ur cpu cool and u can o.c. With it too
August 11, 2013 4:59:36 PM

well since you have lots of airflow in your case, then i guess you dont need such a big cooler. something like the smaller cooler master hyper tx3 would do fine. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

unless you plan on massive overclocks. or if you want something that looks kinda cool that performs the same. here is this cool zalman. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

at stock speeds, these things should keep your cpu pretty cool.
a c 329 À AMD
August 11, 2013 8:15:32 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: Xigmatek GAIA SD1283 56.3 CFM CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $24.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-11 23:14 EDT-0400)




PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: Xigmatek LOKI SD963 52.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($22.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $22.98
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-11 23:14 EDT-0400)
August 12, 2013 5:48:39 AM



PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

The Xigmateks are an intriguing possibility but where do the get off saying they "invented" direct contact pipes for coolers? Elsewhere I see that Cooler Master makes that claim as well. That seems like the opening for a debate or lawsuit. I like the idea of direct contact but in my reading on the subject I've discovered, depending upon the design, this can play havoc with one's ability to apply TC. Some have gaps on the bottom surface that touches the CPU which require a more thorough application of TC. It may not be as simple as applying a grain of rice sized drop. Xigmatek's design seems smooth enough on the bottom to facilitate an even spreading of the compound but who can say how many tiny nooks and crannies aren't visible in the photos on Newegg?


a c 329 À AMD
August 12, 2013 6:49:50 AM

For the money , they are great coolers.
August 12, 2013 9:32:20 AM

PA Systems said:


PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

The Xigmateks are an intriguing possibility but where do the get off saying they "invented" direct contact pipes for coolers? Elsewhere I see that Cooler Master makes that claim as well. That seems like the opening for a debate or lawsuit. I like the idea of direct contact but in my reading on the subject I've discovered, depending upon the design, this can play havoc with one's ability to apply TC. Some have gaps on the bottom surface that touches the CPU which require a more thorough application of TC. It may not be as simple as applying a grain of rice sized drop. Xigmatek's design seems smooth enough on the bottom to facilitate an even spreading of the compound but who can say how many tiny nooks and crannies aren't visible in the photos on Newegg?




to make sure you have good contact, spread a small amount of thermal paste onto the cracks to try and get no air pockets that might affect performance. after enough paste is applied to fill the cracks, apply paste to the cpu (using the small dot method) as you normally would and seat the heatsink. you should get maximum performance from direct touch coolers that have gaps.
August 12, 2013 8:55:29 PM

[/quotemsg]

to make sure you have good contact, spread a small amount of thermal paste onto the cracks to try and get no air pockets that might affect performance. after enough paste is applied to fill the cracks, apply paste to the cpu (using the small dot method) as you normally would and seat the heatsink. you should get maximum performance from direct touch coolers that have gaps.[/quotemsg]

I thought that might the way to go. It's a matter of finagling a solution based upon these designs rather than some overall standard of application. I've put some of these cooling solutions on a wish list and price alert at Newegg but maybe my other criteria should be the easiest installation possible. Which ones are known for that amongst my choices?
August 12, 2013 9:04:21 PM

ive seen a cooler, that has direct heat pipe bit there is a small copper plate (i think its a vapor chamber) so the surface is smooth and not actually pipes. let me look for it.

[edit] i think this is the one i remember seeing. something like this bro. i found these.

arctic freezer 13 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i also found this zalman, its a classic. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and this other zalman. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and this gelid. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or this monster artic freezer EXTREME! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


of course i wouldnt go near these things because of the price, and because i dont have the room or the need for such monsters.
August 13, 2013 4:29:33 AM

computer_nugget2 said:
ive seen a cooler, that has direct heat pipe bit there is a small copper plate (i think its a vapor chamber) so the surface is smooth and not actually pipes. let me look for it.

[edit] i think this is the one i remember seeing. something like this bro. i found these.

arctic freezer 13 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i also found this zalman, its a classic. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and this other zalman. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

and this gelid. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or this monster artic freezer EXTREME! http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


of course i wouldnt go near these things because of the price, and because i dont have the room or the need for such monsters.


That last one I wouldn't go near because of the wattage. The Arctic EXtreme claims it can cool down CPUs with a heat dissipation of up to 160 Watts. What does that mean exactly? Does it mean 160 watts of my PSU are used just for cooling? In fact I'm keen to know how much of the PSU does acooler use? I have a Certified Gold 550 watt Rosewill PSU.
August 13, 2013 10:38:46 AM

when it comes to coolers, tdp and watts means that how much heat they are able to cool effectively. for example, you have a quadcore that has a tdp of 95w. that means that it will generate 95w of heat at load. and to cool the cpu effectively, you need a cooler that can cool at least 95w of heat also. the arctic extreme, is rated at 160w because thats how much heat it can cool. it can cool down a cpu that is rated at 160w tdp.

the only thing that needs power on a cpu cooler is the fan. and fans dont use up that much power. they typically use less than 2w. unless you have one of those water coolers, then you need to power the pump also, but thats different topic.
August 13, 2013 3:20:16 PM

computer_nugget2 said:
when it comes to coolers, tdp and watts means that how much heat they are able to cool effectively. for example, you have a quadcore that has a tdp of 95w. that means that it will generate 95w of heat at load. and to cool the cpu effectively, you need a cooler that can cool at least 95w of heat also. the arctic extreme, is rated at 160w because thats how much heat it can cool. it can cool down a cpu that is rated at 160w tdp.

the only thing that needs power on a cpu cooler is the fan. and fans dont use up that much power. they typically use less than 2w. unless you have one of those water coolers, then you need to power the pump also, but thats different topic.


Excellent information to have. My processor, the A10-6800K Richland, is rated at 100 watts, so I must look for a cooler that will cool that much or more. Water cooling isn't really a need right now because I believe a more than adequate air cooling solution and the three 230 mm system fans in my case should do the job. Now my only considerations are price and true ease of installation.
August 13, 2013 6:03:23 PM

for price, the hyper tx3 would be a good choice, its quiet and it has a TDP rated at 130W for intel the installation is easy. (for amd the clip comes in two pieces and you have the run the clip between the heatpipes if you want the fans blowing out the back, and the fan gets in the way of the installation, kind of a pain). and it comes with clips so you can add a second fan to it as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

on amd installation the zalman cnps5x performa is a lot easier. just loosen the screws on the mounting clip rotate them to the outside position mount onto the motherboard (no need to remove the factory mounting bracket) once its in place, tighten down the screws and its good to go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
August 14, 2013 4:53:37 AM

computer_nugget2 said:
for price, the hyper tx3 would be a good choice, its quiet and it has a TDP rated at 130W for intel the installation is easy. (for amd the clip comes in two pieces and you have the run the clip between the heatpipes if you want the fans blowing out the back, and the fan gets in the way of the installation, kind of a pain). and it comes with clips so you can add a second fan to it as well.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

on amd installation the zalman cnps5x performa is a lot easier. just loosen the screws on the mounting clip rotate them to the outside position mount onto the motherboard (no need to remove the factory mounting bracket) once its in place, tighten down the screws and its good to go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I do like the Zalman because of the ease of AMD installation. It also seems to have direct contact heat pipes that are fused at the bottom. I wonder how many other coolers with this direct contact have this kind of simple AMD install, that is, one without having to add a backplate?

August 14, 2013 6:23:14 PM

not many most of the bigger ones need their own backplate to be installed.
August 14, 2013 6:52:20 PM

I've seen a few videos on how to install a backplate. It doesn't seem too difficult. I imagine that plate provides more stability so the thing doesn't topple over. Some of those videos are pretty funny.

Like this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIkydu13EJ4

Now, this one, while being a little dark, does show the builder doing the back plate. I wish these people wouldn't block important steps with their limbs. It's still a little corny in the naivete of the builder but the point comes across.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9K61ijIttY

I'd like to go with the EVO but I wish Newegg would stop playing yo-yo with the price it charges. It's gone from $39.99 to $34.99 to $33.99 (with rebate bringing it down to $29.99) back to $39.99 again.

August 14, 2013 8:07:35 PM

well me being lazy, i hate taking out the motherboard and putting in a backplate. most backplate installations are pretty easy, i just hate messing with washers. i lose them too easily.
!