Sign in with
Your question

Virgin blocking sites on other network providers.

Last response: in General UK & Ireland Discussions
August 11, 2013 6:29:49 AM

Virgin media block sites on my laptop when i am not on the Virgin network. Why?
a c 262 D Laptop
August 11, 2013 6:36:09 AM

What leads you to believe that Virgin Media is blocking these sites?
What sites? Where are you located?
m
l
August 11, 2013 6:43:20 AM

I am a Virgin customer and use ti at my own address but i am at another address using their network and when I try to enter a site a notification appears that it is blocked by Virgin Media and i cannot enter the site.
I live in Glasgow, Scotland.

m
l
Related resources
August 11, 2013 6:43:58 AM

does Virgin install anything on your PC to monitor your web use?
m
l
August 11, 2013 6:44:52 AM

Oh, it's firstrowsports.eu
m
l
a b D Laptop
August 11, 2013 11:43:56 AM

I've tried several times just to experiment and get timed out on four different browsers. My ISP is Sky and I'm in Central England so it looks as though that site is being picked on by ISPs with interests in sports coverage. Bt will have joined in but maybe someone with TalkTalk could give it shot.

That said, with Court action pending they might all just agree to do it with waiting for an Order.
m
l
a c 262 D Laptop
August 11, 2013 11:53:55 AM

Scotsal said:
USAFRet said:
Why are they doing it? Premier League asked them to.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/premierleague/story/...

But the point is I am not using the Virgin Media network. Yet it still blocks it on my PC and adds a notification from Virgin.

According to that link, it's not just Virgin.
m
l
a b D Laptop
November 4, 2013 4:39:22 AM

the big few are all subject to blocks issued from the courts at the behest of big business. a lot of the smaller providers deliver there services through 3rd parties like ntl/telewest (re branded as virgin media) so they will be subject to any blocks the bigger company introduces. if your insistent on getting past them, then google is your friends... you need to look for phrases like proxy and vpn..
m
l
December 11, 2013 9:53:05 AM

THEY WANT TO TAKE AWAY OUR INTERNET FREEDOM THAT'S WHY
m
l
a b D Laptop
December 11, 2013 11:16:51 AM

Freedom to SHOUT? :D 

There is no more freedom on the Internet than anywhere else on the planet. Rules of decency and honesty are the same here as in any real-life environment. The difference is that many people believe they have the freedom to say what they like about anyone else but life isn't like that.
m
l
!