Fast speedtest, but slow internet

tpaulvc

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
I have been going through this issue for the longest time. I have comcast cable, and when i do speedtest, i get between 50-80 down and 5-20 up. But when i browse it feels so slow, and watching videos i can barely handle 720p. Downloads are also maybe .75mbps. My pc is wirelessly connected to the router with a high end pci-e card. but even when i have it wired its slow. Is it my box? All the computers in this house have this issue so its not just me, and my pc is a high end gaming pc so its not on my end for sure. Thanks for reading and replying

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Comcast is well known to throttle "high bandwidth" usages. They give you good connections to your speed tests, but then artificially limit other things like YouTube, Netflix, P2P, FTP, etc.

Kind of like buying a sports car, and when you test it out, you do so on a race track where they give you full speed, but when you take it off the race track, they limit your car to 25mph.

tpaulvc

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
Its been this way ever since I got with comcast. What cable provider is best then for the price and speed AND doesnt rip me off?

Kewlx25

Distinguished

It's actually hard to find a "good" isp in the USA. Most are incumbents that could provide decent Internet if they wanted to, or they're smaller ISP that aren't large enough to get good deals on speeds, so they can't provide good speeds at low prices.

It comes down to luck.

tpaulvc

Honorable
Jan 9, 2013
After a good bit of work over the past few days, i have figured out im not being throttled/shaped by comcast. I feel like its either my router, box, cable or position of everything in my house. I will do some experementation, any suggestions?

Kewlx25

Distinguished

Do a tracert to some place like YouTube. Setup a "ping -t <ip address>" to each hop that responds to pings, then start a file transfer or anything that causes your connection to degrade. Watch your pings and see if any start getting higher pings or packet loss.