First PC build Advice/Feedback Please

marseus

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
.....Not sure if this is the right area on the forums but here it is...
I have limited background in computers (meaning that I know some technical terms and the basic layout/operating of one) and I figured what best way to learn more than to actually put one together then tinker with it from there. With that being said I'm a little in the dark on the process of overclocking and what needs to be done to ensure not frying the CPU.
So I've limited myself to around $1,500 to do a build and kind of looked around newegg.com to pick out what I would like and would like feedback on my choices. My choices were based on me playing primarily MMORPG games along with other RPGs. I also want a good amount of play room for upgrades later while still getting good bang for my buck now. Well here is what I came up with.

Mobo: ASUS SABERTOOTH 990fx

cpu: AMD fx6350. I read that it runs hot and extremely loud so Ill be getting a
Noctua NH-D14 fan to put on it

Graphics Card: ASUS GTX770

RAM: G SKill Ripjaw x series 16GB (I know I dont need 16, but it was 20 bucks more to get the 16 at 1600 as opposed to 8 GB at 1833)

Storage: 128 GB Samsung 840 pro series SSD (plan to store the OS and the actual games to run) and a 1TB 7200 rpm western digital black w/64 MB cache

Sound Card: ASUS xonar DX 7.1

Case: I struggle picking one out but I'm looking at an Antec nine hundred or a cooler master storm sniper. (other suggestions will be appreciated)

PSU: I am unsure with this because I want enough power for the setup named while having enough extra for future upgrades. Input greatly appreciated.

I was looking for a NIC that has good wireless and had a hard time finding anything. I would like it to be the "N" standard and not that "AC" one.

Well that is it, sorry for the long post but as I stated it is a first build and I don't want to start without input from those more knowledgeable on the subject than I.

Solution
mobo and processor: fine

Cooler: the noctua is great, and may be a bit overkill, you could get that or possibly save moneya and get a 212 evo or something lower end.
(assuming no huge overclocking like 4.5 or 4.7 GHz or so)

Graphics: fine

RAM: exactly what you said

Storage: if you can get a cheaper Seagate or WD Hdd, do it. the 7200.14's from SG are great, you could also look for caviar blues.

Case: just dont spend a ton of money on it, when it comes down to it, it is a glorified box.

PSU: I'd say look at 600W minimum... for future upgrades, get a good seasonic, antec, corsair, or PC Power and cooling one around 800W.

Wireless: assuming you mean a wireless PCI card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320113...

misclik

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
mobo and processor: fine

Cooler: the noctua is great, and may be a bit overkill, you could get that or possibly save moneya and get a 212 evo or something lower end.
(assuming no huge overclocking like 4.5 or 4.7 GHz or so)

Graphics: fine

RAM: exactly what you said

Storage: if you can get a cheaper Seagate or WD Hdd, do it. the 7200.14's from SG are great, you could also look for caviar blues.

Case: just dont spend a ton of money on it, when it comes down to it, it is a glorified box.

PSU: I'd say look at 600W minimum... for future upgrades, get a good seasonic, antec, corsair, or PC Power and cooling one around 800W.

Wireless: assuming you mean a wireless PCI card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320113 will probably be fine.

Solution

marseus

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013

Thank you, so overall it would be a good set up with no issues in compatibility or anything like that? (that is my biggest fear is overlooking and getting something and having a square peg for a round hole)

I'll look into the 212 evo because like i said I'm unsure at this time about OC so if i can save some money then I'm all for it.

Yes i did mean a wireless PCI unless you have a suggestion otherwise for networking.

I will definitely take what you said regarding power supplies and the case and also look into a cheaper Hdd. As always, any input or guidance is greatly appreciated.

misclik

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
I cant see any compatibility issues.

even with the 212 evo, you'd still be able to oc. it is more than good enough to cool at stock speeds and I'd say adequate to cool when OC'd a bit(say 4.3 or 4.4 GHz). If you want to OC heavier (push 4.7 or try for 4.8 GHz), the 212 evo will not be enough.

as far as cases go, i like side facing 3.5 inch drives, toolless is always a plus. just basic stuff. I have a Rosewill Future, but they were on sellout for $40, so it was a steal. just look for stuff on sale for stuff like that.

all wireless cards (and wireless in general) are prone to acting up every now and then. personally I use an old D-Link usb wireless g dongle (it works flawlessly) and when I can, I have a 100' Cat5e ethernet I got from monoprice for about $25. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

A quick note on AMD CPU overclocking: if your processor is getting close to 60 or 65 C, it will start to throttle. so if you do OC it later, just monitor the temp and make sure it stays at about 60 or 63 max.

marseus

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
ok good to go, when and if I decide to oc it i don't intend to do anything crazy with it, just a small boost. If i ever choose to try something higher it will just to do it for the sake of testing things out and it will be returned to a lower speed.

Almost forgot to ask but with what is chosen will there be any bottlenecking or anything like that?

Thanks for the heads up on the temperature cap before it begins to throttle I'll DEFINITELY make sure i pay attention to that.

As for networking I did plan to have a good ol Cat5 (Cat6 if i find one cheap enough) as a backup in case the wireless acts up. As for dongles I never got in to them simply because I didn't know what the hell they were until a few weeks ago lol.

When any other questions arise I guarantee I will be asking because after all the only way to learn and improve is to ask and test.

Lastly, other than newegg and tigerdirect, do you have any sites you would recommend to use to "shop around" for best prices?