How do I completely remove Ubuntu from my HDD?

xJames

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
So as the title saids I want to completely remove Ubuntu from my HDD so I can install Windows 7 from an iso.

Thanks!

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Or he could do a boot and nuke.
Either way works.

xJames

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012

I don't really want to use boot and nuke mainly because of how long it will take however I will keep it in mind. How do I go about formating the HDD with bootable media?

xJames

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012

I don't really want to use boot and nuke mainly because of how long it will take however I will keep it in mind. How do I go about formatting the HDD with bootable media?

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

You could put windows on a disk/usb, set that as boot priority #1, and then set your harddisk to #2 boot priority.

xJames

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012

I saw that was possible but when I put my DVD in which has the Windows 7 files on it I don't get the option to do all that stuff such as CMD, however this is most likely because it isn't a legit copy. So is there anywhere I can get a recovery iso that I can just use to remove Ubuntu then put in my main Windows DVD and proceed like normal?

If I didn't explain that clearly enough just ask.

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

So you're saying it's going straight to the operating system, and not going to the disk?

xJames

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012

Nope. I'll explain the story here. What is happening is that I'm doing this for a friend over Skype but making out it is me because it is easier to explain.

So basically I installed Ubuntu onto a blank HDD but I don't want to use it anymore and instead I want to use Windows 7. The problem is when I put in my DVD which contains the Windows 7 files into my disk drive I can't install it because Ubuntu has the full 1TB partition.

Side note, Ubuntu also no longer boots and I am greeted with the message 'Error, Unknown file system.
Grub rescue.' upon letting the system start normally.

How do I install Windows 7 and remove Ubuntu? (Preferably without using DBAN)

xJames

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012
FIXED! So in the end I downloaded Hiren's Boot CD 15.2 and used a partition tool to just delete the partition. Although I heard you can have problems if you just delete the Ubuntu partition without removing GRUB MBR I done it anyway and installed Windows 7, so far I haven't had one problem even after shutting down and restarting surprisingly. All seems good but if anyone has anything important that I should note please go ahead :)

Thanks!

Djentleman

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

Oh nice!
I actually have DBAN on my hirens cd. Didn't know they had partition software on there. Glad you got it fixed.

You should uh..... Give me best answer ;)

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Yeah, now that you have your Win7 installed create a new partition with ubuntu on it so it's easier to fix Windows. If your copy isn't legit then you are asking for trouble if you ever connect to the internet and it would be good if you can still access everything through Ubuntu.

xJames

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012

I don't use Ubuntu I was just testing it because Windows 7 wouldn't install as mentioned I my thread thread. And even though it isn't a legit copy I have had it working on another computer fine even with each individual update installed so I'm confident that I will be okay.

stillblue

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I don't use Ubuntu I was just testing it because Windows 7 wouldn't install as mentioned I my thread thread. And even though it isn't a legit copy I have had it working on another computer fine even with each individual update installed so I'm confident that I will be okay.

That's cool. Just sayin'. I use Ubuntu on a USB to repair windows, very handy and if you find Windows not working for whatever reason you can always boot to Ubuntu to get to your files.

xJames

Honorable
Oct 31, 2012

Oh alright, I'll keep it in mind.