CPU overheating issue and should I replace my cooling system?

DireRabbit

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013
Hi guys, thank you very much for reading my thread. This may be a bit long and it may take a while for me to get to my point, but I am rather perplexed by what is going on and I want to ask for some opinions on the situation.

I don't have a lot of experience with computers and this current desktop was build for me by a friend who is great with computers about 2 years ago.

I have a i7-2600k 3.4GHZ on a Gigabyte GA-PH67A-D3-B3 motherboard with a Coolit Eco II 120 liquid cooling system. I was traveling and had my computer shipped by FedEx. It arrived looking okay but when I started running it the computer started stuttering and became slower and slower until it finally just completely shut down in a flash. When I tried to boot it up it didn't work for a while, then after 5 minutes I was able to boot it up.

From what I can understand at the time, I thought it might be overheating of the CPU so I downloaded HWMonitor and sure enough the core (0-3) temperatures were all above 90oC. So I stopped running the computer and opened her up. I looked inside and found that 2 of the screws that held down my cooling system was a little loose, so I tightened it completely down. I then turned on the computer, it started running but the idle cpu temperature was around 70oC and when I started running a program it went all the way up to 90oC. Fearing for my CPU I stopped it altogether.

I took a canned air and cleaned out the interior. I keep it pretty clean so there wasn't much to do. I decided to leave the computer alone for a few days. In the meantime I did some research and thought it might be the thermal paste, so I decided to order some. Still waiting for it to arrive via post.

Then today, while I was not home my little brother booted up the computer and was running Diablo 3 on it at max graphics just fine. I am looking at the readings when I got home, my CPU is running around 40oC with Internet browsing and goes up to 70oC with a game running on max graphics with constant 60 FPS (Diablo 3).

So what exactly happened, was it just the screws? Should I still try to reapply the thermal paste? Or should I try to replace my cooling system? A friend told me that the 70oC is still too hot for my CPU and I should just replace my cooling system altogether.

Thanks!

DireRabbit

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013

Yea, I think I will do that. Should I be worried about air getting into the tubing because it is suppose to be a sealed water cooling system?