Sign in with
Your question

Mid-Low Budget Gaming Rig

Last response: in Systems
August 11, 2013 4:40:04 PM

Hello folks.

I'm planning to get a mid to low budget gaming rig, and I'm looking to see if you guys had any input on where i could lower the cost of the build, and if I'm gimping myself with something i put in there.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1qApE

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz -209.99$
MOBO: MSI B75MA-P45 Micro ATX LGA1155 - 67.24$
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 660 Ti 2GB Video Card - 218.69$
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 - 114.99$
HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM - 55.06$
PSU: Raidmax 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V 49.99$
CD-ROM: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer 17.99$
PCI Wireless: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n 14.99$

Current Total: 748.94$

Dont need and OS or Case.

I was looking at various combinations of amd processors and all that but i am also going for longevity here that i don't have to upgrade anything for a good while.
Will probably be adding something like a Coolermaster 212 evo later on and other small touches.

Mainly for gaming / design work.
August 11, 2013 5:10:11 PM

What is a much more accurate budget? What kind of games will you be playing (list a few)? You are missing a case in the list. Do you already have the operating system or does that have to be included as well? What are your "go to" websites to order from? If you answer these questions I may get a better idea for your build.
August 11, 2013 5:21:39 PM

I'm trying to keep it at around 700$ or so. Case will be whatever temporary one i can get my hands on either craigslist or from friends, just to stick it in there until i get my hands on some plexiglass to do a scratchbuild. The budget is just for the system, the peripherals are there already.
The OS i already have.
My main websites will probably be amazon / newegg as per the pc partpicker list, might check the local stores too though. I dont plan to OC or anything, only reason i went for the 3570K is because the difference is only 4$ or so between non K. I might upgrade the mobo somewhere down the line if i want to OC but that will have to wait.
The games would be
WoW
GW2
RIFT
TESO
And so on. Will see what single players come out that are good :)  So mainly mmo's but i also like the occasional single player like skyrim and mass effect. Design stuff will be in blender / gimp.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
August 11, 2013 5:25:27 PM

Do you need the operating system too? (windows)
August 11, 2013 5:47:42 PM

Isaac Clarke said:
I'm trying to keep it at around 700$ or so. Case will be whatever temporary one i can get my hands on either craigslist or from friends, just to stick it in there until i get my hands on some plexiglass to do a scratchbuild. The budget is just for the system, the peripherals are there already.
The OS i already have.
My main websites will probably be amazon / newegg as per the pc partpicker list, might check the local stores too though. I dont plan to OC or anything, only reason i went for the 3570K is because the difference is only 4$ or so between non K. I might upgrade the mobo somewhere down the line if i want to OC but that will have to wait.
The games would be
WoW
GW2
RIFT
TESO
And so on. Will see what single players come out that are good :)  So mainly mmo's but i also like the occasional single player like skyrim and mass effect. Design stuff will be in blender / gimp.

In that case, you really can do all of that with just 8 Gb of RAM. You can use the money saved on a GTX 760 ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... ) for an upgraded performance for not much more, you can also decide between having the "ACX cooling" and "superclocked versions for $5-$10 more. you can also you the money saved on a beter power supply from Corsair or SeaSonic.
August 11, 2013 6:10:43 PM

Right, i might just cut the ram to one stick of 8g and add another one down the line perhaps. From the benchmarks i have seen the difference between 660 ti and 760 is not that huge, i am looking at the best bang for the buck within my budget.
August 11, 2013 6:29:18 PM

Isaac Clarke said:
Right, i might just cut the ram to one stick of 8g and add another one down the line perhaps. From the benchmarks i have seen the difference between 660 ti and 760 is not that huge, i am looking at the best bang for the buck within my budget.

When will you be buying the parts?
August 11, 2013 6:39:40 PM

Probably a month from now or so. I'm just trying to get a general idea of what to get, and not to make any stupid choices like bottle-necking parts etc.
August 11, 2013 6:42:02 PM

Isaac Clarke said:
Probably a month from now or so. I'm just trying to get a general idea of what to get, and not to make any stupid choices like bottle-necking parts etc.

Well that price on the 660 ti ends on Wednesday, meaning that the 760 will be cheaper by then.
August 11, 2013 6:54:54 PM

The price i listed up there was from amazon, not newegg, i avoid short term deals / mail in rebates while planing like this.
August 11, 2013 7:15:19 PM

Isaac Clarke said:
The price i listed up there was from amazon, not newegg, i avoid short term deals / mail in rebates while planing like this.

The one in the PCpartspicker list is from Newegg though.
!