Need help choosing a sensible Z87 mobo

Cedrikus Magnus

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013
Hi everyone,

I need help choosing a sensible z87 mobo and since I've found many useful information on this forum, I've decided to ask here.

I want to build a reasonably price gaming computer (ideally under 1500$ including the OS) that will last. That's why I've chosen a i5-4670 CPU.

The parameters:
- I want a quality mobo that won't be the weakest link of my build; I would love to say: that I can keep and update my CPU in a couple of years but since Intel keeps changing the socket... ;)
- I don't really need my mobo to support RAM speed over 1600 MHz since I'll buy 1600 RAM anyways...
- I would like a quality sound module and I often use headphone, so it must be minimally powerful. (on that note: any huge difference between Realtek ALC1150/892/887?)
- I don't plan on overclocking since I know nothing about that!
- I don't really plan on using a SLI or Crossfire configuration but rather, spend twice the money on a single GPU of better quality.
- I wouldn't mind if it had a good built-in WiFi like the Asus z87-pro
- It needs to have USB 3 and Sata III and I would prefer an ATX profile.

I've looked at a couple of mobo, but there is always something:
Asus z87-pro: seems awesome (and love the build-in Wifi) but it's a little pricey and has feature useless for me: supporting faster RAM, 3 PCIe 16x
MSI z87-g45 (I understand the only deference with the g65 is overclocking related): like the fact that the audio chip seems to be of high quality, price is better then the Z87 Pro but seems of very high quality nonetheless.

I really can't decide. For one thing, the MSI is cheaper and seems to have good sound but the Asus seems really seems like a very high quality, durable product and has a WiFi.

I guess, my real question is what I have overlooked? What other quality mobo are there out-there that I should look at?

Many thanks for your answer!

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Since looking at Z87 then definitely go with the Asus Pro, or take it up a step to the Asus Maximus Hero (just built mine this weekend),,,,both are good strong mobos, as for the MSI...I myself won't touch MSI mobos for builds and haven't for a few years now, QC and support just keep getting worse

Cedrikus Magnus

Honorable
Aug 11, 2013
Thx for your input. I did indeed had problem with MSI customer service for my laptop!

Looking at that mobo, it does seem to be around the same price range 200$ and to have a nice sound module but I was actually looking to find one a little cheaper

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
The Pro's a great choice, just throwing out an option, I got mine put together Sun, 4770K, 16GB (initially, the other 16 is on the side for the moment, want to try some OCing of the DRAM at 16) of 2666 Tridents, currently running smooth at 4.4