Asrock 990Fxextreme 9 or gigabyte 990fx-ud5 or just wait till amd launches new CPUs?

sfrost

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
After getting some very useful info on a good motherboard i have narrowed my choice down to 2, the asrock extreme 9 and gigabyte ud5. I have found them both for around £160 but want people who have either boards opinion.

Also i recently read how AMD just released a 5.0Ghz processor and how it might mean the end of the AM3+. I had planned to buy my upgrades around christmas when things got cheaper but if AMD are teasing a new series of processors on the horizon is it worth waiting for them or just upgrade now and not be as future proof?

javathedot

Honorable
Jul 15, 2013
If you don't have immediate "need" (or want) for a new rig then waiting is always the best thing to do.

Extreme 9 has difficulty overclocking compared to Asus Sabertooth. I'm not sure about UD5 since I don't have personal experience with Gigabyte boards. But basing on forums, the UD5 would be better.

I have read that Extreme 9's 12+2 power phase design is not real 12+2 but rather 6+1 times 2. With UD5 and Sabertooth you'll get real 8+2 power phase design which is superb for overclocking.

sfrost

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012

Thanks for the reply. I am leaning towards the UD5 at the moment. I havent used many asus products but i do have a few gigabyte ones and i have never had any problem with them so will stick with them since i have a good history with them. I will try and wait till around christmas just so i can get it a little cheaper hopefully and also hopefully by then AMD with have said if they are bringing out a new series of processors