Best Value Soundcard?

svvparakala

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Hey Guys. I have an ASUS M5a99fx pro R2.0
And the audio ports aren't working. I've tried to install the realtek drivers but it will never be recognized. I'm just planning on buying a soundcard instead. Not looking for anything over 5.1 setup really. Would like a decent quality sound. Preferably better than the sound card that comes with the mobo. Also looking to spend no more than $50 bucks on Newegg, cause I have store credit. Thanks a lot!

Also I've researched a little bit about specs.
24 bit vs 16
100 db, 96khz, all that.

Still don't quite grasp the concept of all these. Can you tell me how it relates to a good speaker setup I can use for gaming/movies/music? Right now I have a Logitech LS 2.1 that I got for a bargain. Want to upgrade. Been looking at the Genius Gaming speakers. Got any other suggestions? Also under a $100?

Hey man are you sure your Motherboard's sound cables are connected to the motherboard? They look like tiny rectangular pins that fit onto the pins on the motherboard?

In other words, were they working before?

If they were and now they aren't then look at these:

If they weren't might I suggest just reading up on how to plug them in :) Make sure to earth/ ground yourself before touching anything inside the pc though.

Here are a few with an extra 1 a little over a regular budget :p

I recommend these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132020
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102003

^ these 2 would be the best imho The one below is also good just for cheap sound so you just have sound.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829180004
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102040

svvparakala

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Cool, so people said the Audigy is older, so it would be better to go with the Xonar DG. However, I've read some reviews about the DG that talks about troublesome drivers and other issues. My main question is this though:

Right now, I have a Logitech LS 2.1 setup connected to my Logitech g110 gaming keyboard with the USB sound drivers. This is because I still wasnt able to fix my onboard sound. So, what I want to know is if a soundcard will really show improvement from the keyboard audio with these specific speakers. Or at least with headphones?

What headphones do you have? In my personal opinion if you are not an audiophile you really don't need a sound card. Modern Motherboards have really good onboard Sound. In my honest opinion if you do not have 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound or some expensive headphones (ranging between $50-400) you don't really need a sound card. It's one of those it's nice to have but I can live without commodities :)

You can also try this 1:

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer

lamerstein

Honorable
Aug 19, 2013
Go with the Xonar DG - it even have headphone amp and can do Dolby Headphones - its good in games. I can realy feel what is coming from where.

I have the DG and I havent seen any driver problems. Used it on win 7 and win 8 - works ok, just be sure to get the latest drivers. The ones that come on the disc dont work on win8

svvparakala

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

Well I'd like good sound through my 2.1 setup. That's about it. But the problem is I have no onboard sound card. I've been getting by using my keyboard usb audio. Think I should spend $30 bucks and buy the Xonar DG? will it show an improvement? Will I be able to play my audio a lot louder on my speakers? Right now it feels like my speakers aren't reaching their full potential.

Yes to both answers if you want good sound do it, both of my original suggestions are good, personally go for Asus. They are the leaders in sound cards. I have a Xonar myself, the software is great also. The amount of volume increase will actually surprise you my friend :) while some people will always criticize remember that for that price you are getting some serious improvements compared to your current set up :)

Who knows one day you might buy some expensive headphones and then you will really be glad you have a decent sound card.

svvparakala

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

Awesome. Thanks so much for the info friend. And you make a really valid point with the possibility of buying expensive headphones. I always like thinking into the future :)

[/quotemsg]

Awesome. Thanks so much for the info friend. And you make a really valid point with the possibility of buying expensive headphones. I always like thinking into the future :)[/quotemsg]

Glad I could help, let me know if you need anything else :)

-Any cheap sound card will do fine, you're not using any quality speakers or anything.

-If you get a high end sound card with the thought of getting good quality headphones later, then it may be overkill depending on your choices

-Do not buy a 100+ dollar sound card for gaming headphones/headset!

-Most audio is 16bit 48hz or lower in games or music unless your listening to lose-less music which can typically be 24bit 48hz-92hz

If you have a half decent pair of headphones, get one of the xonars with built in headphone amp, it will make a difference, or the soundblaster z which is more expensive but also has headphone amp. I recently purchased a SB Z and its awesome (i mainly use headphones). Everything works well, lots of volume, great EQ, great virtual surround. I dont even have super expensive headphones, just a pair of creative fatal1ty headphones, which are great, and even better with my new soundcard. The only reason i did spend that much to get the Z, was because the rest of my rig cant really be improved for what i use it for, and i had nothing else to spend my birthday money on that i wanted. If your not looking to spend so much the xonar dgx has headphone amp, and virtual surround (although from what i read in reviews doesnt work so well), but its a fair step above on-board sound and got great reviews along with the DX. the Xonar dsx got good reviews also, but it isnt as good for headphones, but has more home theatre connectivity. Spending more than $100 and your getting minimal increase in features and sound quality, and you would need a serious home theatre setup and/or headphones to notice any difference.

svvparakala

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
You'll never guess what just happened. Right after I got my ASUS DG soundcard delivered, my sister just bought me a present: a new pair of headphones! They're the JVC HA-RX700. From what I've read, they're supposed to be really good. However, my DG doesn't have a headphone amp :/ So I'm going to order a 1/8 to 1/4 connector. http://www.amazon.com/Hosa-MHE100-5-Headphone-Adapter-Extension/dp/B000068O6B/ref=cm_cr_pr_sims_t

Now the question is first of all, will this work? Second of all, will it reduce any sound quality?
If it doesn't work or sound quality is reduced, then I might look to invest in a sound card that has an amp. Perhaps like the one iam2thecrowe has.

Once again thanks for all the help!

I have a Xonar DGX and it definitely has a Headphone Amp in it, you have to dig around in the driver to enable but its there.

Will it work, yes it will deliver sound to the headphones. Should be no change in quality, all you are doing is making the connector physically bigger by using the adapter.

svvparakala

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

Yea just figured this out! haha