New Computer Randomly Rebooting

Diddlysquat33

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
I (mostly with help from my friend, I don't know what I am doing with computers) recently built a computer with parts from Newegg. After about 2 or 3 days of use, the computer randomly started to reboot. No bluescreen, no freezing, just instantly going to the boot up screen, and then to the safe mode options screen.

My computers components are as follows:

LG 24X DVD Burner - Bare Drive 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH24NS95 - OEM

Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBXL

AMD A10-6800K Richland 4.1GHz (4.4GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop Processor - Black Edition AMD Radeon HD 8670D

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

ASRock FM2A55M-DGS FM2 AMD A55 (Hudson D2) Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

Rosewill RNX-N180UBE Wireless USB Adapter

Turtle Beach Z11's for audio (No speakers hooked up.)

Windows 7 64-bit

(I didn't really know where to cut it off, so I just copied and pasted the full name of most components, sorry.)

I have tried updating any drivers I could find (although I have probably missed some). I tried to clean up the windows registry with CCleaner. I have run Memtest 86+ for seven passes with no errors found. I have tried making it so the pc has its own outlet, so it is plugged in along no other devices. I have pretty much run out of ideas short of a full format and starting from scratch.

Any help that anyone could offer would be extremely helpful, and I thank anyone in advance.

(Edit) If anyone knows if it seems likely that it is just insufficient power supply, I would very much like to know just how much my system would be using at full capacity. Is 430w not enough to run all of this? (Also, I haven't really got a spare power supply to troubleshoot with)

That psu has enough power to boot up ur system, with no graphics card the cpu is the most power consuming part and its peak is only 100watts and the rest is barely another 100watts.

Id look for a short in ur case or ur front panel connections, as with no bsod or freezing or straight shut down something may be loose or is shorting. good way to test a short is make sure all power cables are secured, take off all motherboard panel connections and short the two pwr on pins that hold the power front panel connections with a screw driver and see if it happens, also check if there are any case motherboard standoffs that are touching the motherboard.

In general a going bad part may cause this problem not sure which one, but easy test for bad parts is use bare minimal, cpu, board, one stick of ram, 24pin and cpu power and thats it and good into windows and wait for the reboot

Diddlysquat33

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
I opened up the case and checked all of the connections. None of them seemed to be loose. After having done that, I powered up the computer again and I had the earliest reboot of all of them. Before I even got to the windows login screen it failed and rebooted. I had always been able to at least log in and wait for a few programs to start up before it crashed. I went through again right after the first reboot and then it did it again at the normal time.

I don't know if it is likely that I messed up the connections even more that it caused the earlier reboot, or if that was just coincidence. I also should add that I am a little reluctant to try to short the motherboard when I can't even identify what parts you are referring to. It doesn't seem like a good idea for me to try to do when I would just be blundering about it. I will most likely wait until my significantly more tech savvy friend can help me before I try that. Until then, can anyone think of any more things that may be causing the reboots?

It is probably worth noting that I have never had a reboot while running in safe mode with networking. Even as I write this, it is running in safe mode because it would likely crash as I browse the internet and try to post. I have been told that this might mean it is a driver issue.

It is also most likely worth noting that after the first night after setup, I left on the computer so that windows could update. I left it for about 8 hours while I slept, and when I woke up, it was stuck on update 144 out of 180 something. I went to work at 6 AM and asked someone to check the update progress around 9. It was still stuck at 144. When I asked them to check again around noon, they said that it was done, and that it was in the windows log in screen. At the time I thought nothing of it, but in retrospect, the first reboot may have been while windows was stuck updating.

I am not sure if any of that extra information was relevant, but I thought that it should be mentioned. I am grateful to you, lazyboy947, for your input. I will definitely try those at a later date when I have some assistance, and I also thank anyone else for any input they may have.

Well when i meant shorting the board with the power pins, its the same thing the front panel power button does when u press it, it shorts the two pins to power on, but if u think its corrupted windows then take the hdd out and if u have an extra one laying around install windows on there, also if its a short or a bad piece of hardware just boot into the bios with no hdd and let it sit

Diddlysquat33

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Could a corrupt operating system cause this issue? Apart from disfunctional hardware, what could lead to this? Right now I am paranoid that it may be my wireless adapter causing it because I have been playing offline with no issue for the better part of the day. Would something like the usb drive causing this even make sense, or am I just having a lucky run? (This is being posted from a phone, by the way)

Diddlysquat33

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
I have been playing on and off for about 6 hours with no reboots. I have gone longer before with it in, but if that seems like a probable culprit, I will look into replacing it. I haven't got any way of connecting without a wireless adapter of some sort. If it is the problem, would there be any alternatives other than an hard wire ethernet connection, or would any other adapters likely cause the problem?

a pci-e wireless adapter, or another usb one, just get a known brand name, my refurbed asus usb adapter works great - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320040, and it could just be ur specific one u bought, or the brand. Also could be that specific usb port did u try a different one?

If i didnt get the usb one on sale and refurished i would of bought this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320074

Also u can set a laptops wifi to shared and then connect ur pc to a laptop via ethernet to get internet if u have a laptop

Diddlysquat33

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
Alright. Thank you very much for your help so far. I will update if I confirm it is the adapter, or if it crashes again, and I will look into those adapters you linked to. Thank you again.

Diddlysquat33

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
I still am having the reboot problem. It had not rebooted since Tuesday (posting this on Sunday). Right before the reboot, the adapter was being really spotty and not maintaining a connection long enough to connect to a page. I have since ordered the ASUS one that you recommended (the second one). I really do hope that the Rosewill and or its drivers were the source of my problem.

Diddlysquat33

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
I have had the adapter for less than one month. I suppose that I will look into returning it. If the problem goes away, I honestly wouldn't even mind not being able to get a refund. If this is the solution, I will be satisfied enough. Also, I haven't even been able to do anything online for the past few days because my adapter refuses to maintain a connection long enough for me to even load more than one webpage.

Diddlysquat33

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
I have had the adapter for less than one month. I suppose that I will look into returning it. If the problem goes away, I honestly wouldn't even mind not being able to get a refund. If this is the solution, I will be satisfied enough. Also, I haven't even been able to do anything online for the past few days because my adapter refuses to maintain a connection long enough for me to even load more than one webpage.

Diddlysquat33

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
It has been a while since I last updated, but it has gotten to the point where I cannot even boot into safe mode before a crash. As of now, it is utterly disfunctional. It is probably not any software issue, but if anyone who ma still be reading this old thread can lend advice as to what it might be or how I might find the problem, it would be very appreciated.

Diddlysquat33

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
It has been a while since I last updated, but it has gotten to the point where I cannot even boot into safe mode before a crash. As of now, it is utterly disfunctional. It is probably not any software issue, but if anyone who ma still be reading this old thread can lend advice as to what it might be or how I might find the problem, it would be very appreciated.

Diddlysquat33

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013