Video card to support 3 monitors

JerseyFresh

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013
I currently have a GeForce GTX 550 Ti. My question is would it be better for me to upgrade to a card that can support 3 monitors (if so what card would be best) or should I buy another 550 TI and do SLI.

I enjoy gaming but not looking to spread the game on all monitors. The main purpose is to be able to run a game on one while having up other programs on te others.

Solution
And did you bother googling how to use the integrated graphics with your motherboard and external GPU? You have the basic info you need to solve this, I'm not going to research it for you.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I think you should have two cheap options. One, if your motherboard has on-board graphics and your BIOS allows you to select two simultaneous VGA output devices (i.e., on-board vs. PCIe), you should be able to use on-board graphics for the additional monitor.

If not, and assuming you have an empty PCI-e slot, since you don't care about SLI in gaming I would just get a second super-low-end GPU (preferably an nvidia, for driver considerations), and use that for your additional monitor(s). No need to buy a high-performing GPU if you just want another non-gaming display.

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
And did you bother googling how to use the integrated graphics with your motherboard and external GPU? You have the basic info you need to solve this, I'm not going to research it for you.

Solution

JerseyFresh

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

I did not, ill look into it and return with what I find out. Thanks for the help.

JerseyFresh

Honorable
Aug 13, 2013

Thanks man, I looked a littler harder and found it. Now running 4 monitors.