Hdd works in sata port, but usb adaptor says it is not formated.

liquidzorch

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013
I have a sata Hdd that is good, and almost full of info. When connected to sata port in computer I can access the files. But when I connect this hdd to a sata-usb converter (with the power adaptor obviously), the computer detects the disc but says it has no format. In disc management it appears as 1 partiton with no format.

If I reconect it to sata port on computer it detects the hdd and files. In disk manager it appears as basic disc.

I have used this adaptor with a different hdd and it works perfectly. No errors.

I did get this error with a different adaptor and hdd about a year ago, and never looked in to it.

Is there any option that could make it usable with usb?

liquidzorch

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2013

There is only one partition on it, it is fat32, it is a 320gb western digital. Im not sure of the adaptor, but the adaptor works with a different hdd of same size and same partiton (fat32).

The symptoms suggest that sector 0 (MBR and partition table) is readable but sector 63 or 2048 (the boot sector) may not be.

Could you show us the contents of sector 0 with a disc editor (eg DMDE freeware)?

You could also use DMDE to Search For Special Sector.

I suspect that there may be a 4KB LBA issue, even though your post seems to exclude this possibility.

TRENDING THREADS