Sign in with
Your question

CPU and Motherboard for Budget Workstation Build [Pro-E, CATIA, SolidWorks, etc]

Last response: in CPUs
August 13, 2013 1:59:25 PM

Hello everyone.. I need some guidance in selecting a CPU and a Motherboard for a new build. My primary work will be CAD based and mostly I will be using Pro-E, CATIA, SolidWorks and AutoCAD.

Budget is of prime concern but not at the expense of stability and reliability. I live in India and my budget for the CPU and Mobo combined is around 25k. (approx 400 USD)

I am open to all kinds of suggestions and criticisms and would gladly change my preferences except maybe the GPU.

These are the key components I have set my eyes on-

GPU: FirePro v4900 1GB GDDR5
PSU: Seasonic S12II 620 watts
RAM: 1x8GB DDR3 1600 Mhz
HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB
UPS: APC BR1100CI-IN 660 watts / 1100VA
COOLER: CM Hyper 212X

Now comes the tough part..

Due to budget constraints, I cannot go for a i7-3770k on a decent z77 board.

So, my query is, what combination of CPU and Mobo should I go for?

i7-3770 on a B75 board,
i5-3570 on a h77 board, or
fx 8350 on a 990fx board, or

some other combinations?

[Note: Ability to run dual GPUs in the future would be very nice]

a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 23, 2013 9:46:48 PM

From personal experience, the CPU with the best "single-threaded" performance, should be your choice, at least in the case of a using SolidWorks and AutoCAD LT (2012); although I used to use Pro-E, I don't know how well PTC has optimized their software for multi-threaded/core CPUs.

So no (present) AMD AM3+ processors unfortunately, unless you will be using a lot of FEA (finite element analysis) features of the various programs, which usually are optimize to use as many cores as possible.

The rest will depend you how much money you will want to spend.
August 26, 2013 7:54:56 PM

radiovan said:
From personal experience, the CPU with the best "single-threaded" performance, should be your choice, at least in the case of a using SolidWorks and AutoCAD LT (2012); although I used to use Pro-E, I don't know how well PTC has optimized their software for multi-threaded/core CPUs.

So no (present) AMD AM3+ processors unfortunately, unless you will be using a lot of FEA (finite element analysis) features of the various programs, which usually are optimize to use as many cores as possible.

The rest will depend you how much money you will want to spend.

Thanks mate for your insights.. Most of my work is limited to MODELLING only with some occasional FEA and Rendering thrown in.

So, from what you have told, I guess a higher clocked quad core Intel will fit nicely into the scheme of things.

As for selecting the motherboard, I have little to no idea at all. :) 
so, what Mobo(s) do you think will be IDEAL for my build if I go with a i5-3570 or a i5-4670 non-K version.

Thanks again and hope to hear from you soon.
!