What is the best way to add more storage to a mac mini

I have a mac mini running 24/7 which acts as a server, home theater system and lots more. The problem is offcourse storage. My current setup is just 3 external harddrives connected via usb to the mac mini. This has worked fine, but i would like something more reliable, faster and scalable.
I would like to run raid so if one disk crashes i can still access the data and replace the crashed drive with a new one.
The main usage is storing movies, tv-shows etc which i can play from my mac with plex.
One of the things that annoy me today is that the external harddrives always needs 4-8 seconds spinning up when i need to access them. This i'm hoping to avoid.
There will only be one computer accessing the drives so i really dont need a NAS system for sharing storage on my local net.

I'm thinking i need at least 4 drives (3TB) each.

What options do i have? I have looked at the Drobo 5d and 5n, but maybe that is overkill?
1 answer Last reply
More about add storage mac mini
  1. Nas's make cheap storage setups, aside from that the mac mini leaves little choice but the more expensive thunderbolt enclosures
    http://www.encoredataproducts.com/lacie-raid-systems/lacie-5big-10tb-5-bay-raid-%7C-dual-thunderbolt/?gclid=CLyE1u_s-7gCFc5FMgod0zcABg
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Mac Mini Storage NAS Storage