HD 7770 Crossfire w/o bridge?

astor

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Greetings.

This is my card: http://us.msi.com/product/vga/R7770-PMD1GD5.html#/?div=Overview

Please tell me if it can be run in Crossfire.

It does not have a bridge connector on it, but some sites are claiming that it can be run in crossfire mode without the bridge via the PCI bus, and others are claiming that it cannot be.

So, when all else fails, and I cannot find answers on my own, I come here, where most of the answers are to be found.

A pair of 7770's in Crossfire will require a bridge.

AMD_CrossfireX_Chart_1618W.jpg

Jaxem

Honorable
I'm not seeing anywhere on the MSI site or newegg that claims the card can be crossfired. I'm pretty sure something with as much power as the 7770 wouldn't be able to work over the PCI bus. The 7770's with crossfire support all have the finger, if it was possible without the finger, no one would use it for the 7770.

Jaxem

Honorable
The guy on overclock.net is bonkers, you can't even turn on crossfire unless you have a bridge (barring the one or two cards that do bridgeless crossfire).

And the other site puts it in the product title, but nowhere says the card does crossfire, just a advertising scam.

astor

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009

Alrighty. Thanks for clearing that up for me. :)

As an aside. Without running in Crossfire, would there be a point to putting on a second card?

Jaxem

Honorable
Nope, wouldn't do anything for you. Save the money you'd put towards a second card and get something better later (the 7000 series is coming down in price fast, and the 9000's should be out end of the year)