Framerate spikes on games, CPU most suspicious

toadcsp

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
I already wrote this on Yahoo answers, but they gave me nothing, so I might as well just try here. I'll just paste the question over to here and see how it goes with you guys.

I hope this isn't too much of a wordwall for you guys.

I've had this desktop for a little over a year (just after warranty, hehe) and now I'm getting strange framerate spikes for all of my games. I think I have some leads, but I would like to have some help from some experts.

On most games that have a built-in framerate counter on their engine (source), the framerate seems to spike. From what I see, the spikes get larger with time. For the first few minutes, it's 300-220 and back, then 300-150, and so on. I've had times where it reached 20 fps, which isn't normal for the rig I have. Also, the CPU usage on task manager seems to jump as well.

My processor, i7 3770k quadcore 3.5GHz Sandy Bridge, is the most suspicious, considering I'm getting more than 70 celcius on gaming sessions. The airflow seems alright from what I can see, and my room never feels hot. From SpeedFan, the idle temp seems slightly worriful, about 57-60 celcius. The heatsink might be a problem, but I can't find the exact model for it. All I can say is that it's from Nuvotron and it doesn't help much when I extend it to a constant 100% usage.

Other suspicions include software buggery, motherboard issues (I hope not), voltages (should a 800w PSU be able to run the specs below), and fan clogging (there was some cat hair in the heatsink, but I've cleaned it out, yet the issue still remains).

Specs:

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 3.50GHz 62 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 674MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Pro3 (CPUSocket) 42 °C
Graphics
Standard Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
1280MB GeForce GTX 570 (EVGA) 59 °C
Hard Drives
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-9YN164 (SATA) 49 °C
Optical Drives
ATAPI iHAS124 C
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

Speccy couldn't detect my case, but it's a Phantom 410. I heard good things about it online, so it seemed like a good choice.

I would be obliged if anyone could point me to anything in particular. I'll update once I try to mess around with my hardware in hopes of fixing it.

Have fun with this.

toadcsp

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

I reapplied thermal paste and everything, but the temps are still reaching 70 celcius and the framerate is still spiking somewhat. Maybe a new fan would help. I might order a new one.

Thanks for trying, guys.

Also, what would be a safe temp for my CPU? I heard that Sandy Bridge processors can deal with high temps without much risk.