Sign in with
Your question

MSI HD7950 Twin Frozr random frame drops ""Need help""

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 14, 2013 11:22:10 AM

So I recently bought myself an MSI HD7950 Twin Frozr III hoping to take my gaming experience to the next level.
But unfortunately that didn't happen.
Almost every game i play gets random frame drops; Battlefield 3 for instance starts at around 100 fps, drops to 60 to 50 to 40 to 20.
BeamNG (still in aplha but still) goes from 40 to 20 fps and sometimes i get 15 for quite some time.
and many more games get framedrops.
But, 3Dmark11 works fine! (dont remember the exact result but Graphics score was around 2200 on extreme preset)
I have no idea whats wrong.... This is what i already tried:
-Reinstall windows.
-Brought the card back to get it tested, they say it's not broken.
-OC it a bit.
-crank up the power limit.
-Tried multiple driver versions.
-Use molex to 8-pin instead of normal 8-pin in case it's broken (I'm sure my 6-pin is fine)

I thought maybe my PSU isn't a very good brand, so it doesn't give a constant flow of juice or something...

System Specs:

-620W Kiss Quiet PSU
-AMD FX-6100 @stock (3,3 GHz)
-ASrock 960GM-GS3 FX
-8 GB Ram @500 mhz
-Seagate Barracuda 1TB @7200 RPM
-MSI Radeon HD7950 Twin Frozr III
-Running Catalyst Beta 13.8

August 14, 2013 11:31:27 AM

Klungelbeer said:
So I recently bought myself an MSI HD7950 Twin Frozr III hoping to take my gaming experience to the next level.
But unfortunately that didn't happen.
Almost every game i play gets random frame drops; Battlefield 3 for instance starts at around 100 fps, drops to 60 to 50 to 40 to 20.
BeamNG (still in aplha but still) goes from 40 to 20 fps and sometimes i get 15 for quite some time.
and many more games get framedrops.
But, 3Dmark11 works fine! (dont remember the exact result but Graphics score was around 2200 on extreme preset)
I have no idea whats wrong.... This is what i already tried:
-Reinstall windows.
-Brought the card back to get it tested, they say it's not broken.
-OC it a bit.
-crank up the power limit.
-Tried multiple driver versions.
-Use molex to 8-pin instead of normal 8-pin in case it's broken (I'm sure my 6-pin is fine)

I thought maybe my PSU isn't a very good brand, so it doesn't give a constant flow of juice or something...

System Specs:

-620W Kiss Quiet PSU
-AMD FX-6100 @stock (3,3 GHz)
-ASrock 960GM-GS3 FX
-8 GB Ram @500 mhz
-Seagate Barracuda 1TB @7200 RPM
-MSI Radeon HD7950 Twin Frozr III
-Running Catalyst Beta 13.8

Have you monitored the Graphics card temps and memory usage with MSI Afterburner? That card has a known flaw in manufacturing with the heat sink thermal paste not applying correctly, and temps rocketing into the 90's and 100's could cause problems. Also, running out of VRAM for some reason could cause those symptoms.

Other than that, run a resource monitor while gaming and see if something is eating up something....
August 14, 2013 11:59:49 AM

[/quotemsg]

Have you monitored the Graphics card temps and memory usage with MSI Afterburner? That card has a known flaw in manufacturing with the heat sink thermal paste not applying correctly, and temps rocketing into the 90's and 100's could cause problems. Also, running out of VRAM for some reason could cause those symptoms.

Other than that, run a resource monitor while gaming and see if something is eating up something....[/quotemsg]

Thanks for your reply.
My card doesn't go any higher than 50C, but my GPU usage goed up and down from 30% to 60% and sometimes 99% while gaming

!