Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Nvidia Branded Tablet Surfaces in Pictures, Benchmark

Last response: in News comments
Share
August 14, 2013 8:23:50 PM

Wasn't it not too long ago that nvidia was allegedly claiming that they had no interest in entering the already-saturated tablet market themselves?

Besides, unless it's a load of junk, the Snapdragon 800 beats the T4 in lots of benchmarks. Nvidia spent so much time on getting T4 out, I can't believe they have anything left up their sleeves. But at least it's not turning out to be as disappointing as Tegra 1 through 3!
August 14, 2013 9:15:44 PM

Late again. This is old news.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 14, 2013 9:39:31 PM

What games are everyone playing on these tablets? Serious question. Not a troll. I have a super duper quad core galaxy s4 and the top android games are still temple run and angry birds. I understand Nvidia wants to make money but is a mobile geforce necessary for words with friends?
August 14, 2013 9:51:53 PM

Quote:
What games are everyone playing on these tablets? Serious question. Not a troll. I have a super duper quad core galaxy s4 and the top android games are still temple run and angry birds. I understand Nvidia wants to make money but is a mobile geforce necessary for words with friends?

Halo. Although it runs on a snapdragon s4 / tegra 3, the next one might not.
August 14, 2013 10:29:06 PM

nolarrow said:
What games are everyone playing on these tablets? Serious question. Not a troll. I have a super duper quad core galaxy s4 and the top android games are still temple run and angry birds. I understand Nvidia wants to make money but is a mobile geforce necessary for words with friends?


Heh, get a Windows Pro tablet. I play Neverwinter Online and Civilization V on mine.

For the Android tablets though.. Plants VS Zombies and Kingdom Rush and Mage Defense are the only two games I really enjoyed. Android - or iOS, for that matter - is light years behind proper gaming handhelds. It does have some awesome games (the first two of the three I listed above, for instance) but not the types of lineups of dedicated platforms. That is changing though...
August 14, 2013 10:48:02 PM

This might very well be a proof of concept prototype to get manufacturers interested in creating a Tegra based tablet
August 14, 2013 10:49:39 PM

nolarrow said:
What games are everyone playing on these tablets? Serious question. Not a troll. I have a super duper quad core galaxy s4 and the top android games are still temple run and angry birds. I understand Nvidia wants to make money but is a mobile geforce necessary for words with friends?


Yeah, i've been wondering the same thing. The only demanding game i've played was riptide and it looked nice but it wasn't fun and just drained my battery. It seems the most simple games are the most fun.

August 14, 2013 11:32:46 PM

teh_chem said:
Wasn't it not too long ago that nvidia was allegedly claiming that they had no interest in entering the already-saturated tablet market themselves?

Besides, unless it's a load of junk, the Snapdragon 800 beats the T4 in lots of benchmarks. Nvidia spent so much time on getting T4 out, I can't believe they have anything left up their sleeves. But at least it's not turning out to be as disappointing as Tegra 1 through 3!


Not sure where you're getting your info but T4 seems to edge out Snapdragon 800 even with the clockspeed disadvantage (but maybe a TDP advantage). The 800 wins some of the GPU benchmarks by a small margin, but it's hardly a beating for either party.

http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile
http://anandtech.com/show/7190/nvidia-shield-review-teg...
August 15, 2013 2:45:12 AM

RT would make for an interesting device that wouldn't sell just like surfaceRT. I'm GLAD they are choosing ANDROID! With all the games and apps and tegrazone optimized games that come with it coming along for the ride. It would be a total waste to design for RT currently. Let microsoft foot that dumb bill. If RT had come out 4 years ago maybe it would be different. For now though they'll need to foot a bill for losers until enough apps/games are out that take advantage of it. No need for NV to lose millions on that crap.

PLEASE, keep pushing android and gamepad games for it Nvidia :) 

S800 loses in pretty much every cpu test I've seen vs. T4. GPU we'll have to wait and see and more important to me in those is do your games look better than the other guys? So far T4 looks like it has quite a huge lead there.

For those wanting to know some good android games here's a paste of another post and note these links work IN THE FORUM, I just edited to add this, couldn't see them in the comments section...whatever toms...LOL:
Demon Score (square enix)
http://bit.ly/19K2HfX

Wild Blood
http://bit.ly/19K2HfZ

http://bit.ly/19K2FVa
Bloodsword (very nice!)

Riptide GP2
http://bit.ly/19K2FVd

Gun Bros 2 (google editors choice)
http://bit.ly/19K2Hwf

ChoplifterHD fron inexile (more than 10mins of fun...LOL)
http://bit.ly/19K2FVf

Note the unreal engine 3 is just kicking off on mobile, a lot more in the pipe. Also Real Boxing (unreal based) and Hawken (hawken is coming, NV showed it running on T4 already).

Modern Combat 1-4:
http://bit.ly/19K2Hwi

Make sure you up the video to 1080p... It rocks. This is PRE-T4. These are made for current crap T3 etc...OLD, some even T2 games below.

TaintedKeep (for those adventure rpg types)
http://bit.ly/19K2Hwl

http://bit.ly/19K2Hwn..

Eternity Warriors 2 (1-5mil installs in the last 30 days...wow):
http://bit.ly/19K2Hwo.
WOW, no, there will be no good games on tablets/phones etc. :) 

Iron Man 3 (impressive to say the least)
http://bit.ly/19K2FVl

Frontline Commando
http://bit.ly/19K2FVn

Nova 3 (nova 1 & 2 aren't bad either)
http://bit.ly/19K2FVp

Dark Knight Rises:
http://bit.ly/19K2GbC

Gangstar Rio
http://bit.ly/19K2Hwq

Shadowgun (still think tablets are crap?)
http://bit.ly/19K2Hwr

Bard's Tale (hey, isn't this a CONSOLE game...LOL)
http://bit.ly/19K2GbF

ArmA2: Firing Range (not impressive, but this was 2011...LOL)
http://bit.ly/19K2Hwv..

Again for Tegra2...
http://bit.ly/19K2HMJ.

Renaissance Blood
http://bit.ly/19K2GbJ

Zombie Driver THD (updated Aug1 for Shield specifically)
http://bit.ly/19K2HML.

Chaos Rings 1 & 2:
http://bit.ly/19K2HMN..
Please realize it's in english when you buy it...LOL

Blazing Souls Accelate:
http://bit.ly/19K2GbL


Final Fantasy 3 in 3d (2006 game but on current handhelds)
http://bit.ly/19K2HMR

Amazing Spiderman:
http://bit.ly/19K2HMS..

Need for Speed Most Wanted:
http://bit.ly/19K2HMU

Asphalt 7 (asphalt 8 looks even better out soon)
http://bit.ly/19K2HMV..

COD Black Ops Zombie game...Who knew?
http://bit.ly/19K2HMX

I could go on, I'm ignoring all sports, adventure types etc here and just keyed on strategy, shooters and rpgs. There are a ton more and this list was compiled a few months back for a tomshardware post. You can google the games on googleplay and watch the vids in the store if you can't get the links to work.
August 15, 2013 2:56:22 AM

nolarrow said:
What games are everyone playing on these tablets? Serious question. Not a troll. I have a super duper quad core galaxy s4 and the top android games are still temple run and angry birds. I understand Nvidia wants to make money but is a mobile geforce necessary for words with friends?


The GPU in the fastest tablet now is still league behind what is available on PC, so you will never run games like Civilizations 5 or Crysis on a tablet, but I am being old school and trying to finally finish Might and Magic 4&5 on Android running Dosbox emulator. There are also some crossover game such as Magic the Gathering 2014 that I might take a look later. In general due to the nature of tablet usage, I prefer the session to be fast and short, and able to save progress until later. The advantage is sometimes when you are get stuck somewhere doing nothing this is a mean to pass some time.

August 15, 2013 5:56:55 AM

aicom said:

Not sure where you're getting your info but T4 seems to edge out Snapdragon 800 even with the clockspeed disadvantage (but maybe a TDP advantage). The 800 wins some of the GPU benchmarks by a small margin, but it's hardly a beating for either party.

http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile
http://anandtech.com/show/7190/nvidia-shield-review-teg...


I meant to imply being cautious about the current benchmarks, though I think I didn't convey that very well. Looks like you're right. This benchmark integrating the S800 GS4 shows that the T4 tablet is quite a bit more powerful on the CPU and GPU marks than the GS4 S800 (likely due to the relative clock speed reduction for being in a phone), but the S800 tablet benchmarked mostly matches the CPU performance of the T4 tablet (within a couple percent with the slight edge to the T4), but the S800 GPU shows benchmarks to be much higher than the T4 on the tablet platforms. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420658,00.asp

So it looks like for the same platform (and the same power and thermal considerations), the CPU of the S800 and T4 are about equal within the error of the benchmark, but the S800 GPU is a good 20% faster than the T4.

Though it all will depend on how they're utilized. And I'm really interested to see how the T4 performs in a power and thermal limited environment, and how the T4i is going to fit in the phone (and other devices) segment.


somebodyspecial said:
...I could go on....

Really wish you wouldn't. You thread crap all of these T4 and Shield news articles with this same garbage list of games that takes up the whole page and no one cares about seeing.

Tegrazone is crap because Tegra graphics until now have been crap. With CPU and GPU packages that beat the T4 in performance, do you think game developers (outside of possible dev's within or sponsored by Nvidia) are going to put much effort in specifically-coded games for a hardware package that took forever to get out the door and still isn't faster than the competition?
August 15, 2013 2:29:52 PM

could just be marketing, nvidie giving a kickback, jus tliek you have so many intel badges on factory computer cases. they might be getting manifacturers to brand tegra tab on the device and releasing refrence tabs as oppossed to a direc tfrom nvidia product
August 15, 2013 7:04:14 PM

Dear Author:

Please fix this completely inaccurate sentence in the 5th paragraph. I usually trust Tom's Hardware, but with such a statement so completely inconsistent with the facts, my confidence is shaken!

"The new benchmark was posted on Sunday showing the Tegra Tab 7 Premium sporting Android 4.2.2 and a chip clocked at 1.81 GHz, scoring 27,643 points, which is lower than the new Nexus 7. "

It should read something like this:

"The new benchmark was posted on Sunday showing the Tegra Tab 7 Premium sporting Android 4.2.2 and a chip clocked at 1.81 GHz, scoring 27,643 points, which is around 40% better than the best Antutu results for the latest generation Nexus 7 (19,833, see http://www.knowyourmobile.com/android/google-nexus-7-2/...; see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU3B50gZnGQ for more typical scores around 12.5k). Also, if history is any guide, this pre-production score may be significantly improved by the time of release. Nvidia Shield Tegra 4 prototypes, for example, scored 32.5k on Antutu, while the production systems consistently showed scores over 41k - a 33% improvement."
August 15, 2013 8:54:38 PM

Quote:

Quote:
I could go on...

Really wish you wouldn't. You thread crap all of these T4 and Shield news articles with this same garbage list of games that takes up the whole page and no one cares about seeing.


You graciously admitted that you may have over stated your case. That is cool. Then you went on to personally attack the poster in a passive-aggressive fashion. That is really uncool. I, for one, appreciated the list he published.

Quote:
[The T4 is] a hardware package that took forever to get out the door and still isn't faster than the competition...


Hmm, your quoted article was published nearly two months ago, and shows benchmarks of pimped prototype hardware. Besides, isn't the S800 the chip that is late to the party? It was announced at the same time. The interesting bit is that while the T4 as shipping has shown improved scores over the prototypes in most tests (like 41.5k vs 32.5k on Antutu and 4522 on Geekbench on my Shield), the S800 as shipping has performed well below the prototype hardware (even the phone).

Check out how the T4 spanks the S800 on almost all benchmarks. And yes, I know the Shield has a fan, but the Xperia Ultra Z has perhaps 6 times the surface area for a heat sink. My guess is power draw is much more comparable between these two chips than the QC fanbois want to admit. Right now it looks like the T4 really is the worlds fastest mobile SoC. I personally can't wait to see the new Asus Infinity with the 1.9GHz T4. I seem to recall top QC executives in Q1 claim that the the S600 capabilities "will significantly exceed" the T4 while the S800 "will totally outclass it." Based on their exaggerated claims, they either have a problem with judgement, capability, or honesty. Perhaps all three.

With the Shield getting very good reviews and selling out, there might just be a market for Tegra Zone :)  There are quite a few T4 tablets and other gadgets in the pipeline.
August 17, 2013 5:44:54 PM

teh_chem said:
aicom said:

Not sure where you're getting your info but T4 seems to edge out Snapdragon 800 even with the clockspeed disadvantage (but maybe a TDP advantage). The 800 wins some of the GPU benchmarks by a small margin, but it's hardly a beating for either party.

http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/mobile
http://anandtech.com/show/7190/nvidia-shield-review-teg...


I meant to imply being cautious about the current benchmarks, though I think I didn't convey that very well. Looks like you're right. This benchmark integrating the S800 GS4 shows that the T4 tablet is quite a bit more powerful on the CPU and GPU marks than the GS4 S800 (likely due to the relative clock speed reduction for being in a phone), but the S800 tablet benchmarked mostly matches the CPU performance of the T4 tablet (within a couple percent with the slight edge to the T4), but the S800 GPU shows benchmarks to be much higher than the T4 on the tablet platforms. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2420658,00.asp

So it looks like for the same platform (and the same power and thermal considerations), the CPU of the S800 and T4 are about equal within the error of the benchmark, but the S800 GPU is a good 20% faster than the T4.

Though it all will depend on how they're utilized. And I'm really interested to see how the T4 performs in a power and thermal limited environment, and how the T4i is going to fit in the phone (and other devices) segment.


somebodyspecial said:
...I could go on....

Really wish you wouldn't. You thread crap all of these T4 and Shield news articles with this same garbage list of games that takes up the whole page and no one cares about seeing.

Tegrazone is crap because Tegra graphics until now have been crap. With CPU and GPU packages that beat the T4 in performance, do you think game developers (outside of possible dev's within or sponsored by Nvidia) are going to put much effort in specifically-coded games for a hardware package that took forever to get out the door and still isn't faster than the competition?


When someone asks this: "What games are everyone playing on these tablets? Serious question. Not a troll. I have a super duper quad core galaxy s4 and the top android games are still temple run and angry birds."

My post is answering their question and I only see you complaining and I really don't care if you think it's thread crapping...LOL. You have a right to your opinion I guess... :) 

What cpu & gpu packages beat T4? T4 already works fine in a tablet so not sure how else they can thermally limit it for you :)  S800 loses to T4 cpu, and it's the only gpu so far that seems to hold up and isn't readily available in anything yet. Also the gpu coming in Q1 will replace T4 so kepler soon on the same cpu. What else has been benchmarked that beats T4 and I can buy? Nothing. Toms Jan tests showed that T3's graphics were better in most of their games (they tested 12) and the Nexus 4 actually crashed 5 of them IIRC. So the GAMING experience on tegra isn't bad compared to others and T4 only strengthens their position let alone kepler early next year. I think devs will concentrate on EASY optimizations based on hardware they already know...YES. That is AMD/NV. With both of them taking their desktop gpus into SOCS they will have an advantage for quite some time (assuming AMD gets something decent out the first time, otherwise NV will just run away with this race).

What games on the list I posted are garbage? The point of that list is they are NOT GARBAGE...LOL. But you seem to hate Tegra so (you called them crap)...It figures. If google chooses tegra for their console too, you'll be seeing even more tegra optimized stuff (can't see another choice for xmas really, and Qcom so far has done nothing optimization wise).

There are a lot of consoles coming on tegra so a lot of stuff will run with their optimizations shortly. Next year you'll see a LOT of games that just look better on NV hardware and I'd say it will get even more prolific with Kepler IP being licensed out and they've already said most of the current ones coming will rev yearly (T5/T4 will be in all of them too). Ouya, Gamepop, wikipad, madcatz, shield2 etc...They are building a game base that will grow over the long term even leaving google out, though I think they'll choose to be able to play tegrazone games too (shield was on display big time at google i/o).
!