Bitlocker locked out of system drive(c drive) but I do have the password to fixed drives! (i don't have recovery key)

carsondfw

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
Recently had a malware issue and used an application in an attempt to repair called "combofix" that seemed to do something to the OS files and other applications in the background. In any event, it did more damage than good and Windows 7 would not boot back up..got a blue screen and could not load Safe Mode as well.

I proceeded to pull out original disc to see about repairing the OS but got prompted for recovery key.

Background: I don't ever recall using BitLocker to encrypt my C drive (it's possible but I really can't recall. I did however use BitLocker to encrypt all my other drives. Perhaps it's a requirement to encrypt system drive (C) in order to get this functionality on the others?)

Facts:

1) I always have to manually unlock each fixed drive everytime I boot up in Windows 7 if I want access

2) I know the password to each fixed bitlocker drive (they are the same password)

3) I'm unaware of where I put my recovery key (16 digit pin?)...I believe it's in a text file somewhere on my system drive or potentially on one of the fixed drives.

Questions:

1) If I know the password (not recovery pin) to my fixed drives, should I be able to recover it if I do a new OS on a new SSD HD? I would think I would just see the drives listed again and I just right click and unlock and type in my password? I hope so...

2) I have data on my supposedly bitlocked former C drive...can I still access it by hooking it up as a secondary drive on the new rig by right clicking on the drive and using the same password as my other fixed drives?

3) Hypothetically I have my bitlocker key on my other drives, how would I find it? Does the key have a file extension?

Rant: LESSON LEARNED. I'm going overkill on this next time..I'm going to email my recovery key to all my email addresses, save on a thumb drive, never store any more data on my C drive.

I'm so depressed right now. I hope you experts reply back with some decent news. I have some confidence that I can access the majority of my data but I'm a bit worried about my system drive about never seeing that data ever again.

If you didn't back up the recovery key, & don't have the PIN, then the data on the encrypted volume is permanently inaccessible. There is no way to recover a lost key (wouldn't be very secure if there was). PIN's & recovery keys for the other volumes will not work.

carsondfw

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013

But I have the password... Does that count for anything???

Simple way to see if you can get to the files on the encrypted C drive on another PC. Plug it in and see what it does. It won't do anything with the data if it does not work. The recovery key you do want to save on a thumb drive or somewhere. Keeping it on the same drive is like making a backup folder on the same drive as the original data.

Encrypting data is a good way of keeping it secure, but if you don't follow good practices and read everything about how to work with encrypted files, you will end up locked out of your data as much as anyone that my try to get to it.

If you are being prompted for the recovery key then only the recovery key will unlock the drive.