Crazy Core Temps!

CorroFront

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
I am using the Toshiba L500D-11R laptop. I have checked with HWMonitor and it says that the CPU cores are running at about 71°C idle.
This is totally abnormal! The laptop was cleaned and the temps went down from 100°C to about 70°C idle.
While gaming the temps go over 100°C.
If anybody has a suggestion, PLEASE ANSWER!!

SilverfoxHound

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013
Get a Fan pad a good on that will help transfer some of the heat and cool it slightly.

Also what type of surface are you gaming on? Open desk with a lot of room a cramped quaters andwhat not.

Also I'm sure you already know this but laptops are not the most ideal machines for gaming, everything is way to compact and crapted but i'm going to look up the schematics to yours and see if maybe a change of fans or something may help.

SilverfoxHound

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

May I have the service tag number and model number

Also have you made any customizations to laptop other than i'm asuming when you say cleaned opened up the laptop and blew out the dust.

What settings are you trying to play the games on, and what games are you trying to play?

CorroFront

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

Sorry haven't been on the Forum in a long time, the laptop is sitting on a cooling pad, not the best one but it helps.
The laptop itself is discontinued, don't know about the service tag, but the model is the Satellite L500D-11R PSLK0E. No other customizations have been made to the laptop.
The games I am trying to play are:
Minecraft: Fancy, Normal, usually 30-35 fps
Don't Starve: Medium, 30 fps
League of Legends: Very Low, Vsync off. anywhere from 25 - 45 fps.

I can get down to 50°C if I put the power options all on ''Battery Optimized'' but then everything is really slow, If you can help please do. Appreciate your replies.

SilverfoxHound

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

Have you tried replacing the thermal paste yet on the gpu and processor? That may help a lot of you get artic silver 5 from online or radio shack and put it on. Your old stock (which usually isn't that good) thermal paste may have dried up and is not conducting heat very well anymore. The other flaw may be your heat sinks themselves need to be replaced, but I would try the thermal paste option first usually that helps a lot of people stop the computers from over heating. I actually just fixed and HP that would shut itself off because the temrpatures go so high it over heated with just the windows index test and that's what the problem was.

Good luck my friend and make sure when cleaning the chips you use nothing less that 95% isopropyl alcohol. I personally use 97%.

CorroFront

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

I will try to replace the thermal paste, but it will be hard to take the laptop apart since one of the screws is so stripped that it is basically a circle now. Should I take it to a shop and let them do it? since you also have to take out the motherboard to get to the cooling.

SilverfoxHound

Honorable
Jun 21, 2013

If you don't feel comfortable doing it then yes. If you think you can without problems then No. Watch some turtoirals and read up on it see if it's doable for you if it is have at it if it isn't then bring it to a shop but still bring the paste you want on it to make sure you get the best heat reductent thermal paste. I like artic silver 5 but you can look into and may find a brand you like better like thermal ICE or so. But if you do take it to a shop have them check out you heat sinks to make sure that they are functioning so you don't have to take it apart twice. Because if you take apart and just replace the thermal paste and that doesn't solve the issue, you're going to have to take it apart again and reapply the thermal paste when you could replace the heatsinks to begin with while changing the thermal paste.

TRENDING THREADS