Custom build checkover?

Scroogity

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
I'm going for a new gaming PC, as my old Windows XP dinosaur is barely chugging at this point (It's not worth upgrading). I'd want to keep the old human interface items like the keyboard/mouse/speakers/monitor. I've asked on here for a check-over when I had no idea what I was doing before, and now I understand a LOT more due to the fantastic community. (THANK YOU!). That said, I've changed quite a few things with my previous gaming rig idea and this one.

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Scroogity/saved/29X8
And in case this link doesn't work, check below, and in the comments for updates.

Specs:
CPU
Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core (I might pick the 4670K if I you say I need Over Clocking for a good reason)

CPU Cooler
Arctic Cooling UCACO-AP11301-BUA01 Fluid Dynamic Bearing

Motherboard
MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150

Memory
Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600

Storage
Intel 520 Series Cherryville 240GB 2.5" SSD (System boot and a few games)
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM (Documents, videos, etc)

Video Card
EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB

Wireless Network Adapter
TP-Link TL-WN722N 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 (My router is a D-link DIR-601)

Case
NZXT Phantom (Black/Green) ATX Full Tower (Please don't trade cases only for cosmetics, I like this one's look. It also comes with fans.)

Power Supply
Corsair 750W ATX12V / EPS12V

Optical Drive
Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK//AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

Cooling
See Case ^

OS
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Monitor
Acer V223W EJBD 22-Inch Wide LCD Display (I am reusing my old one)

(Keyboard and mouse are USB)

So my questions are:

Is it easy to manage SSD and HDDs together on Windows 7 Home?
Are there any compatibility issues between hardware or software?
Would you recommend a different part for better performance? (No switching between CPUs please, I like the Intel i5, and I'm not sure about OC.)
Would this be easy to build for a first-time builder?
Would there be problems if I built it like this?
Could I go at least medium settings with games while recording? (NOT Crisis 3 or other EXTREMELY CPU/GPU intensive games, Just ones like shaded Minecraft with 256 x 256 textures or Modded Skyrim)
Could I record gameplay with this?
What else should I know about this setup?

NOTES:
I have $1,400 to play with.
This will be my first PC build.
I have a wireless connection for WiFi.
I live in Wisconsin (US).
I'd like to record gameplay.
OC is a possibility if you can convince me.

Your help means the world to me, and I really appreciate it. Without it, there would be a weak PC on my desk as we speak! Sorry for the long post.

Old discussion on previous build is right here for funzies http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1732608/give-opinion.html

kirilmatthew

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
Check out this build here: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/kirilmatt/saved/2bak
The GPU is much better then your build, and it is well priced. Let me know what you think or if you have questions! I didn't put an SSD because this will not really be of too much benefit for your workload. I put a decent CPU fan if you do want to do some overclocking as well. Another option you may be open to is a radeon 7990 for only a bit more at $700. I picked the White case because it is $30 cheaper then the other one.

kirilmatthew

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

This build's CPU is not a good choice. The OP said they might OC and even without overclocking, the 4670 non-k is the best Intel choice. I recommend you stay clear of this CPU

thasan1

Honorable
Mar 27, 2013
@kirilmatthew the performance difference between 4430 and 4670 will be minimal, but if he wants to overclock then he should go with 4670K. otherwise 4430 is the best choice IMO for non K i5.

kirilmatthew

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

In any case, the OP needs the k version for OCing.

Scroogity

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013

I'm liking this... This is much cheaper than what I was expecting, and I don't even want the OS with this build, as I already have a copy...

kirilmatthew

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

Even better then! I might recommend the HD 7990 if you're willing to go with AMD. Crossfire has been mostly fixed and it can only get better. It is much more powerful then the 780 and you get a ton of free games. Its a wicked deal for $700.

Scroogity

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013

Tempting. But I don't want to focus just on GPU, and then leave the rest of my system to bottleneck. Also, as I said I'm not a push-it-to-the-limits kind of guy. I have taken some parts off of my system and replaced it with yours, but not all of it is final yet.

kirilmatthew

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013

It looks good! I'd go with the CPU cooler I put in my build but your choice. SSD is not Something I would value but I'm not here to stop you :) I would still recommend the 7990, but again, nvidia is very good and is better then AMD all else equal in my opinion. It will be a beast no matter what, and your build is very solid. Best of luck! Hope this helps.

Scroogity

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
I'll let this run for a few days, but most of my questions are answered, and I think that Tradesman1 got the best answer. (I won't get the second card till 3 months from now or so.)
Thank you all again, I'm really revved up for this!