Need some help in choosing new motherboard.

Hello all,

Long time lurker, now officially user. I just purchased myself a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB 2.5-inch Series SSD, and it will be arriving in the coming days. I am pretty certain that I will be needing a new motherboard to be able to take full advantage of what that SSD has to offer. My current MoBo is an Asus and I am not exactly sure which one it is, seeing as I am posting from work, but I know that it is almost 5 years old now and highly doubt it has any SATA III connection capabilities.

So what I wanted to ask is what motherboard should I be getting? To properly answer that question I know it is important to know what I use my computer for and what other hardware I am currently using. I use my computer primarily for gaming.

My video card is the EVGA GTX GeForce 570

I am also using a sound card the ASUS Xonar DGX

I would like for the new MoBo to have SLI capabilities, my current one does not.

Price range is anything really, apart from outrageously expensive. I am not necessarily looking for the best MoBo out there, but rather a good performing MoBo that will be able to cater to the needs listed above. If it so happens that the two go hand in hand all the better, although I am aware that it is not at all likely.

Any and all help welcomed thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.

Pukutak.
11 answers Last reply
More about choosing motherboard
  1. Are you running AMD or Intel? It's hard to suggest a board without knowing.
  2. Need either a CPU or a particular socket you are looking for - if 1150 then get the Asus Hero, and we'll make this easy :)
  3. Jaxem said:
    Are you running AMD or Intel? It's hard to suggest a board without knowing.

I have Intel Core 2 Quad CPU
  4. The 'new' 775 boards i could find were all mATX and not suited to your needs, i'd think you'll probably have to pick up a used one, in which case i'd browse ebay as they have great buyer protection policies so you don't get ripped off.

Probably something like this?:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-P7N-SLI-Platinum-LGA-775-Socket-T-Intel-Motherboard-/190883656304?pt=Motherboards&hash=item2c718d7270
  5. Jaxem said:
    The 'new' 775 boards i could find were all mATX and not suited to your needs, i'd think you'll probably have to pick up a used one, in which case i'd browse ebay as they have great buyer protection policies so you don't get ripped off.

Probably something like this?:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSI-P7N-SLI-Platinum-LGA-775-Socket-T-Intel-Motherboard-/190883656304?pt=Motherboards&hash=item2c718d7270

Thanks for the quick replies. What would I need to get to make the 775 boards that you are referencing work with my build? I am not averse to the idea of buying a new CPU either.
  6. I suggested that board purely for the SLI, if you want SATA3, and to take full advantage of your SSD, you will need to upgrade to a newish board/CPU, That board is only SATA2, but even at SATA2 speeds it will put a HDD to shame.

If your current board is DDR2, you should be able to swap that eBay board in no problem
  7. Jaxem said:
    I suggested that board purely for the SLI, if you want SATA3, and to take full advantage of your SSD, you will need to upgrade to a newish board/CPU, That board is only SATA2, but even at SATA2 speeds it will put a HDD to shame.

If your current board is DDR2, you should be able to swap that eBay board in no problem

Alright what MoBo + CPU combo would you suggest for me to be able to take full advantage of my SSD?
  8. What's your budget for CPU + mobo?
  9. Jaxem said:
    What's your budget for CPU + mobo?

Anything not outrageously expensive. I do want good quality though.
  10. If you want OCing go the 8350 (AMD) or on the Intel side the 3570K or the 4670K - No one has any idea of what you mean by not outrageously expensive AMD is cheaper, a 3570K and mobo prob run about $340ish which is cheap for the performance
  11. Thanks for all your help, I went to my local Computer Store where they initially built my PC and they got me set up with an Asus Sabertooth Mobo + CPU can't remember off the top of my head what it was. When the parts come in in the next two days I will post an update of what exactly I got.
Ask a new question

Read More

Samsung SSD Motherboards SSD