Need some help in choosing new motherboard.

pukutak

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
Hello all,

Long time lurker, now officially user. I just purchased myself a Samsung 840 Pro 512GB 2.5-inch Series SSD, and it will be arriving in the coming days. I am pretty certain that I will be needing a new motherboard to be able to take full advantage of what that SSD has to offer. My current MoBo is an Asus and I am not exactly sure which one it is, seeing as I am posting from work, but I know that it is almost 5 years old now and highly doubt it has any SATA III connection capabilities.

So what I wanted to ask is what motherboard should I be getting? To properly answer that question I know it is important to know what I use my computer for and what other hardware I am currently using. I use my computer primarily for gaming.

My video card is the EVGA GTX GeForce 570

I am also using a sound card the ASUS Xonar DGX

I would like for the new MoBo to have SLI capabilities, my current one does not.

Price range is anything really, apart from outrageously expensive. I am not necessarily looking for the best MoBo out there, but rather a good performing MoBo that will be able to cater to the needs listed above. If it so happens that the two go hand in hand all the better, although I am aware that it is not at all likely.

Any and all help welcomed thank you for taking the time to respond to my inquiry.

Pukutak.

pukutak

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013

I have Intel Core 2 Quad CPU

pukutak

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013

Thanks for the quick replies. What would I need to get to make the 775 boards that you are referencing work with my build? I am not averse to the idea of buying a new CPU either.

Jaxem

Honorable
I suggested that board purely for the SLI, if you want SATA3, and to take full advantage of your SSD, you will need to upgrade to a newish board/CPU, That board is only SATA2, but even at SATA2 speeds it will put a HDD to shame.

If your current board is DDR2, you should be able to swap that eBay board in no problem

pukutak

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013

Alright what MoBo + CPU combo would you suggest for me to be able to take full advantage of my SSD?

pukutak

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013

Anything not outrageously expensive. I do want good quality though.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
If you want OCing go the 8350 (AMD) or on the Intel side the 3570K or the 4670K - No one has any idea of what you mean by not outrageously expensive AMD is cheaper, a 3570K and mobo prob run about $340ish which is cheap for the performance

pukutak

Honorable
Aug 15, 2013
Thanks for all your help, I went to my local Computer Store where they initially built my PC and they got me set up with an Asus Sabertooth Mobo + CPU can't remember off the top of my head what it was. When the parts come in in the next two days I will post an update of what exactly I got.