Nokia Windows RT Tablet Specs Possibly Leaked

Status
Not open for further replies.

guvnaguy

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
If Microsoft wants RT to be popular, they really need to fill its App store, and the apps in general. I think they've tried to hard for the "minimalist" look. There's so much wasted screen space for nothing but flat colors! Windows is supposed to be about productivity, not style!

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
When will they learn that RT is a flop compared to all other similarly priced x86 tablets?

There is basically no benefit to RT over the cheap $400+ x86 intel tablets out there.

stevejnb

Honorable
May 6, 2013

Aye - they really need to be looking at $300 or even less to get these things to move and build a positive reputation. The app store is filling out nicely (though still a ways behind its competitors, it serves its purpose adequately in most situations) and Windows RT as an OS compares very well to both Android (which I use almost daily) and iOS (which I haven't used in over a year because I disliked it).

As an OS considered independently of apps, I'd actually take it ahead of both of its competitors with far superior multitasking being the deciding factor. The app store though - yeah, definitely no advantage there. Taking reputations out of the equation, I'd still slightly favour Android unless I wanted to use it primarily for work.

csbeer

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
Don't do it Nokia! RT was dead on arrival. I'd rather pay $279 for a win8 (with office) Acer W-3 801 pos tablet then an RT with all the bells and whistles.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
I am amazed at how much I don't care for this product.

If I was to compare purely OSs to develop for in the tablet sector excluding x86 Windows, It would be Windows RT. Apple with Visual Basic, and Google with Java simply cannot compete with the ease and efficiency of developing on C#. I mean seriously, if you develop anything on Android you can port it to Windows RT with very little effort.

G

God damn it Nokia, I wanted a full Windows 8 tablet from you guys with x86, RT is dead and you will sell about 3 of these

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
if m$ wants rt to be a success apps are not going to do it alone, they need to pull a google and give away the license for free, at least until they have a userbase, they also need to include somethign people want with it, maybe 4 months of office 365 free with purchase or somethign like that. right now you can expect to pay $50-100 more than an android tab with the same hardware and better apps access that is not going to get consumers

portentous

Honorable
Oct 21, 2012
I wonder how many of those who commented actually use Windows RT? I am not saying it's perfect. I have used one since its launch and I have to admit that it is made for 5% of the population. No, my mother, my 10-year-old, and my wife can't use it. It is that bad. But both my iPad and Nexus tablets have become paper weights. Yes, you nearly need a PhD to use the damned thing. By the way, I used to think it was fun to spend a week to tweak the script to get the modem to work to get on the internet using Gopher.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
First, cameras past basic functionality are a waste of money in a tablet. Second, I'll jump off a cliff before I buy a dual core in anything at this point (tablet, phone etc). My dad's nexus 10 is nearly a year old and has dual A15's. I expect quad at this point and at 20nm a jacked up quad with far better gpus than what's in the nexus 10r1.

alextheblue

Distinguished
"...a detachable keyboard/stand peripheral similar to what Microsoft offers on the Surface RT tablet."

"...several USB ports on the back of the keyboard dock, possibly USB 3.0. The keyboard will also have its own battery. Cyan matte will be one of the color options."

Err, Kevin? Have you ever used a Surface? The stand is actually built into the Surface and Surface RT tablets themselves. Not part of the keyboard, which is really a cover/keyboard combo. So the Touch and Type covers for the Surface are actually nothing like the one you describe, which as you stated is rumored to house USB ports and/or a battery.

Really this keyboard dock is more like what you see with other third-party vendors, like Dell, HP, and Asus - which all sell tablet/dock combos that have supplementary batteries and ports in the dock.

azz156

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009

im typing on my 64 gig surface rt atm, I find it pretty decent so far compared to my old ipad 2 but I know what you mean. I bought my mum a surface and it took her awhile to get use to it but shes got a handle on it now. though I notice she uses desktop mode most of the time lol

Status
Not open for further replies.