Asus Z87-Pro - unable to install USB3 driver

jalla74

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
Hi.
For some reason the USB3 driver won't install on my system. When starting asussetup.exe I get this message:

"this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software".

The system freeze/resumes from time to time as well, I notice the led on my mouse/keyboard goes off, then on again after a few seconds. I get no errors in the event viewer either, so I am really hoping for some help please.

I already ran memcheck and scanned my ssd, no errors. Bios is updated to 1205.

My specs:
Corsair AX 760i
i7 4770k
4x4gb corsair ddr 2400 10th anniversary ed
intel 180gb ssd
msi geforce gtx 780

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Where did you download the USB drivers from, or are the the ones on the support disc?

Also, can you check device manager - see if any of the USB hubs/ports are showing driver/unable to start errors.

jalla74

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
My device manager is flawless, no warnings or errors.

I downloaded the drivers from your site (there is only one version available). I had the same USB problems earlier this week, but I know the USB3 drivers was installed then. I decided to install a fresh OS since my system had these freeze/resume problems (usb devices turned off/on randomly). It seemed to work for a while, but then I got my first USB turns off/on so I bought a new mouse and keyboard in hope of finding a solution to the errors I had. The keyboard was the last thing I changed, and now my devices no longer turns off/on, but i get these freezes from time to time.

The only difference from my previous install is that I have not installed Intel RST and I installed the latest Intel INF from Guru3D instead of the "older" version on the CD.

After reading some great reviews of the z87-pro and it's features I just had to buy it. The fan control system is flawless, my temps are very good, so I'm beginning to think the problem might be in the BIOS. I could post screens of my BIOS settings if that would help.

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
I'd clear CMOS and return the system to bone stock settings - don't apply the XMP for the memory at DDR3-2400. See what happens. If there are no USB drivers installed for the USB 3.0 ports device manager would be showing so.

jalla74

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

Cleared CMOS and changed XMP to auto, booted up and device manager found new hardware. I installed the drivers only by pointing the 2 devices (usb3 extensible host controller+usb3 root hub) to the drivers folder inside the Intel_USB3_Win7_VER25019 folder.

About the freeze/resume issue I have, do you have any ideas on what can cause this? I have disabled "away mode" in EPU, set up power options to high performance. I don't use hibernate or sleep either.

Thank you so much for your help so far!

jalla74

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

My system seem better in overall now, although I had to close 20+ little windows of aisuite3 had to close/stopped/terminated, don't recall now. I also got some freezes/hang/resume when doing things like starting my browser, opening folders, nothing major, so I restart and all is back to normal. Device manager logged an WMI error, event id 10.
I also noticed AsusFanControlService in the log, 2 mins earlier than the WMI-error. This was not an error, but information. It read "the description for Event ID 0 from source AsusFanControlService cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted."

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Uninstall AI Suite III and then run this cleaner:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34503-AI-Suite-III-Cleaner&country=&status=

Let's see if the freezing issues keep occurring.

jalla74

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

Okay, aisuite3 is uninstalled & cleaned. Now I have the noisy fans back, I can live with it for a few days to wait out this error searching, but fanxpert2 was one of the main reasons I bought the Z87 board. Hope there is a workaround if this is the reason.
Until the next 2-3 days, is there a standalone version of fanxpert2?

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
No standalone version. Must be installed as part of AI SUite III. You can select which modules you wish to run when using the installer. Lets see how the system works first. I assume this was a fresh install of the OS when you started out yes?

jalla74

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

That's correct, fresh install of OS.
I'll wait a couple of days and let you know how things go, crossing fingers!
Thanks again for your help!

jalla74

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

I just came from work and turned on my monitor, hangs all the time now. Trying to open something, hang/freeze for about 5-8sec then resumes. Trying to unpack/copy from A to B, hangs 5-8secs, then does it. In the event manager are no errors, only a bunch of Event ID 7036 (service control manager). It's so strange... I just went from my browser window to the computer management (clicked the window in the back and it hangs for about 5secs and resumes.
I have not restarted my PC yet, that will fix it.... for a day or so... but I'm waiting for your reply in case I need to look for something particular, so I will not reboot yet.
Even my mouse pointer is changed to this <--> from the time I went to services and dragged the columns a bit...
Freezing occurred 5-6 times while writing this as well... although it seems more aggressive when I try to do things instead of just writing (opening windows, unpacking/moving/copying stuff. It always happens before the actual task is done, then it does the task after the 5-8sec freezes....

jalla74

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013

My OS is just fine now. I can't pinpoint exactly why, but I have done 2 things after my last freeze/resume.

1. Installed the new nvidia 326.80 driver
2. I managed to fix the event id 10 (WMI-related) by running a script from ms.

Now, I've read a bunch of topics about this freeze problem and/or mouse and other usb devices turns off/on and somehow it could be related the nvidia and their drivers after the 320.xx release. I don't know if I was one of them.

I'm just glad things are working now, I even installed the AiSuite III again, and everything has been stable for 48+ hours!

jalla74

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
I've had very few (freeze/resume) issues over the last months in overall. After installing the latest BIOS (version 1602) and the "ASMedia_U3_FW_update", all freezes are completely gone!