Second Guessing my 'build' - a mix of parts picked on sales

evanwink

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
My goal is a PC that I can use both for games on high settings and as a HTPC. So, quiet for watching video, don't mind so much if it gets louder during games since I usually use headphones for that.

I've been picking up components as they come along at good prices over the last couple weeks. Here's what I've got so far (and in the order bought, I think):
Seasonic 650W PSU - $60
PowerColor 7850 2GB - $125
Adata 4GB RAM (x2) - $27
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD -$195 (not from newegg)

And then today I stopped at Micro Center and picked up:
i5 4670k with...
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H Socket LGA 1150 ATX ---> $315 + tax

Planning on a Noctua cooler that fits whatever case I decide on.

I probably got ahead of myself chasing deals, and I realize I kind of did things in the wrong order and had very little planning. I still have to pick up a HSF and case (may use an old one I have to start out). Maybe an optical drive depending on what case I decide on (hoping to put this in a HTPC-style case).

What I'm most wondering is if I went overboard with the Mobo. It seems like a really nice one, but I'm afraid I'll never really use its features too much. Wish I'd been on top of things last week, because this same combo was even cheaper at MC. I plan to do some overclocking somewhere down the road, but it has been years since I was into that, so it won't be right away. Since it was from Micro Center, a return is pretty easy for me if this was a mis-fire, unlike the other components that would have to be shipped and/or have rebates involved.

So for cases I'm looking at this one: Silverstone HTPC case - $135

But today I was tempted by the idea of this mini-ITX (obviously would have to switch mobos): Fractal Design Node 304 - $50
Worried about heat more with this mini-ITX, not to mention assembly frustration.

So yeah, trying to reach the end here and I'm second guessing everything and looking for advice, recommendations, etc. Am I going to be able to keep this cool and quiet enough, or am I dreaming?

evanwink

Honorable
Aug 16, 2013
Thanks for the advice, Outlander. I haven't made any progress since posting with life in the way, but won't be long now. Not finding that cooler available anywhere (didn't look too hard), but I'll keep an eye for something similar.