Do you upgrade or build completely new?

mworthyc

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013
Title says it all. Do people tend to do a completely new build every couple of years or do people tend to drop money into the same build every so often to extend the life of the computer (in terms of performance)?

mworthyc

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

It'll be my first build actually haha. Just curious as to if I go all out for premium stuff or if I go for mid range stuff and just sort of upgrade it as needed.

mworthyc

Honorable
Aug 14, 2013

This may be a goofy question, but what is the average cost of a system that is considered midrange? and for that matter what are the average costs of low end and high end systems?

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah I do almost exactly the same thing. Since my income is currently, let's say less than adequate, I definitely don't build a new rig every year or so. When I do build a new rig I never spend more than $1K on said rig or laptop. To stay current I try to get by with the most bare minimum upgrades possible. I do a rebuild of my rig every two years - or whenever I can get the parts for my rig. And I always reuse or recycle parts from old rigs into other PCs in my house. Last year I upgraded my home PC from 990FX to Z77, and this year I'm planning on upgrading my work rig from a Z68 to X79 and getting a 4820K.

This may be a goofy question, but what is the average cost of a system that is considered midrange? and for that matter what are the average costs of low end and high end systems?

My personal opinion would be low end >=$500, mid range <=$1000 >=$1500, and high end >=$2000.

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
I might spend a bit of money on the annoying to upgrade core parts like cpu,motherboard,case, and stuff like that, as well as investing in a good psu that will last a while. But for stuff like gpu, storage, etc, i might hold off on the good stuff until i feel i can afford it and it seems like a good buy, as it's always changing and i can upgrade when I have the chance. Then in like 5 years or so I guess i might build another as my cpu and processor will be somewhat behind the times most likely. At that point i could recycle my case (and probably my psu considering the 7 year warranty) and start off a new build with more money for other parts or games