CPU dead after fan error

blackangel21

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
hi, i just cleaned my PC and when I tried to turn it on, it says cpu fan error.. after searching on the web, I think I finally find the answer and tried to reconnect the cpu fan to the connector but now my PC won't start.. :(

I use Mobo ASUS P5G4IT-M LX3 with Intel Xeon..
Can anybody help, please?

blackangel21

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
I think so.. I have a blue fan on top of the processor, I connect it to cha_fan because it has 3 pins.. My cpu_fan connector has 4 pins, so I plugged it with another fan I had.. In total I have 3 fans in my CPU..

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

Do the fans even start to spin when you turn it on?

This may be a long shot but I've had it happen TWICE this year when cleaning a computer. The Power Supply decided to die at the same time. Swapped in a new PS and it booted just fine.

.. or you forgot to plug the power cord back in. :)

blackangel21

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
No, strangely the blue fan that is on top of the CPU only have 3 pins so I kind of can't push it to the 4 pins connector..

Anyway, the problem now is that my PC won't start at all.. The CPU led is on, but nothing happened when I pressed the power button..

P.S sorry if I'm a bit slow, I don't know much about PC, this is the first time I unplugged processor and motherboard to be cleaned..

blackangel21

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
@Cazalan: at first no, then I plugged it in to the CHA_FAN and it did start but I still had the CPU fan error warning so I opened it once more and when I tried to assemble the entire thing it just won't start..

Hmm, it might come from the power supply because I checked all the cord and switch and set it to on.. :) How much do those thing cost?
If it comes from the Power Supply, how come the CPU led is on? Shouldn't it be off?

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Hard to say. No beep codes or debug leds for that mobo. A cpu fan/power error may need a full power cycle.

Unplug the power cord for a minute, plug it back in, and try starting again.

If that doesn't work then you probably do need a new Power Supply. They're often the first thing to go on an older PC.

Daniel Bell

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
This may sound like a strange solution, but try this: disconnect your PSU connector from your motherboard (the one to the actual motherboard, not the one that goes to the outlet.).

The same thing happened to me when I was cleaning out my in-laws' ancient office PC. Disconnecting and reconnecting the PSU from the MOBO worked for me. Good luck.

blackangel21

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
@Daniel: thanks for the solution, however I'm having trouble disconnecting it. It's like this bunch of cables squeezed together through a single connector and it's really hard to pull.. Since I'm afraid I'll damage the mobo if I pulled too hard, can you tell me how to disconnect the connector safely?

@Cazalan: at first, I used a backup PSU but now I plugged the CPU straight from my electric socket still nothing happened. If the Power Supply is the problem, can I do something to fixed it temporarily?

Cazalan

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
ATX cables have a latch in the center on one side. You have to squeeze it before pulling.

pc-268_-_15cm_gr_kabel_atx_power_adaptor_cable_20_pin_female_to_24_pin_male_.jpg